96' Speedster cut off on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuspeedster

My problem is that while running on open water my speedster just cut off. Here is some background to this.

Being from florida I did not winterize my speedster over the winter which now resides in south carolina where it did free during the winter. It was on a trailer and covered by the cover and a tarp. After winter I tried starting and got it to crank over but then tried again and apparently it had old gas so it wouldn't even crank. I got all the old gas siphoned out and put about 5 gallons of new premium fuel in. Within a few cranks both engines fired up while still on the trailer. I then took the boat out on the lake and idle was fine, then cruised at around 30mph for a short bit before taking it back up to around 50mph so about 5-10 minutes. I then took a sharp 180 degree turn similar to how we'd do 180s/360s but didnt cut it quite hard enough to pull that off. So right after I got out of the turn both engines shut off. All electronics still worked such as the blower, DESS, and bilge. I tired to start the engines back up but they would crank over and immediately shut back off before I could even give it some gas or rev it at all. After sitting dead in the water for about 5 minutes and periodically trying to restart they finally both kicked back on as if nothing was wrong. I cruised back to the ramp at around 30 just fine and sat and idled waiting for the ramp for another 10 minutes without a problem.

Does anybody know what this could be? Before I take it out next time I'm going to throw some sea foam in the gas tank incase there was any moisture in there. I'm going take it out again in a couple days with a friend of mine riding along side incase the problem persists. If any of you have an idea or maybe some other trouble shooting tips they'd be appreciated since I'd prefer to not look like a fool if this happens again when I have people with me on the boat.

dont do 180*'s....?

Possible carb problem, or if your turn was going left, then it starved it for fuel, something along the lines of the "left turn syndrome", about the way impellors turn, the nturning opposite, it impeads the flow/pressure inside the motors...

PERFORMANCE TIPS
The "Left Turn Syndrome"
You will find in all instances that your watercraft will turn more easily to the right than to the left. The reasons are basically simple. First, engine torque constantly places pressure on the hull to turn right. If your engine's performance is marginal, you can notice a dramatic falloff in power in a hard turn. This power falloff can't always be blamed on the engine, being over-propped can also cause the engine to slow enough to fall off its power peak. An engine with a peaky power curve is especially susceptible to a very dramatic power loss in a hard left turn. Most recently, with the increase of Sport and Runabout racing, there has been a marked improvement in hull design with a dramatic increase in "G" forces encountered while turning: over 2.5 G's. In some instances such a hard turn can cause momentary loss of power due to fuel starvation in the carbs. Jetting changes cannot correct this situation, the best solution is to rotate the mounting of the carbs 90 deg, so that their throttle shafts are perpendicular to the crankshaft axis rather that parallel. To date, this solution to the problem has been 100% successful.

It was a sharp left turn so that might be the case. None of the people I talked to mentioned anything about the left turn syndrome but for some reason thats what I thought it might be. Because it just seemed like the engines had no fuel especially since I only had a few gallons in the tank at the time and I did cut the turn between 30-40mph.

I'm going to assume that was the problem but if anybody else has any suggestions I'd welcome them. I'm going to take it out this weekend and I'll keep you guys updated on the situation.

I always thought that my boat turned better to the right 'cause of the fat guy steering it !:driving:
ok. Done kidding around.
dont do 180*'s....?

Possible carb problem, or if your turn was going left, then it starved it for fuel, something along the lines of the "left turn syndrome", about the way impellors turn, the nturning opposite, it impeads the flow/pressure inside the motors...

PERFORMANCE TIPS
The "Left Turn Syndrome"
You will find in all instances that your watercraft will turn more easily to the right than to the left. The reasons are basically simple. First, engine torque constantly places pressure on the hull to turn right. If your engine's performance is marginal, you can notice a dramatic falloff in power in a hard turn. This power falloff can't always be blamed on the engine, being over-propped can also cause the engine to slow enough to fall off its power peak. An engine with a peaky power curve is especially susceptible to a very dramatic power loss in a hard left turn. Most recently, with the increase of Sport and Runabout racing, there has been a marked improvement in hull design with a dramatic increase in "G" forces encountered while turning: over 2.5 G's. In some instances such a hard turn can cause momentary loss of power due to fuel starvation in the carbs. Jetting changes cannot correct this situation, the best solution is to rotate the mounting of the carbs 90 deg, so that their throttle shafts are perpendicular to the crankshaft axis rather that parallel. To date, this solution to the problem has been 100% successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back