96 Speedster advice needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

philwarner

I plan to look at a 96 Speedster for sale locally listed as $2K or make reasonable offer.

The listing says:
1996 SeaDoo Speedster - $2000
I'm selling my 1996 SeaDoo Speedster jetboat.. This boat has twin 717 rotax engines in it. At 85 hp each engine it has 170 hp total. These are 2 stroke engines that come in a lot of Seadoo's jet ski's and jet boats in case you want to buy this for spare engines. I haven't used it in almost 2 years, but I did start it last summer. I don't know the number of hours because there is no hour gauge. It has to be read by computer at a shop. It did have an occasional electrical gremlin when I last used it that would shut the engines off, but they would immediately restart. Sometimes this wouldn't happen at all during a day on the lake, sometimes it happened several times. Your guess is as good as mine as to the culprit. The speedometer usually doesn't work either. As you can see, it needs some TLC. The seats have some stains and a bit of cracking. I'm selling it with the trailer. Email me because I have bad cell phone service where I live. Make a reasonable offer. Thanks for looking.

Seller also says:
I can start the engines for just a brief moment if they aren't in water. In fact I did that today after putting in new spark plugs. But to be honest they sound terrible out of water because they have no muffler. The water is the muffler. It's registered in Arkansas. The cover wore out and leaked so I just used a tarp for awhile. No service records that I am aware of. My brother was a mechanic at the shop I bought it from so we took care of it personally, but it has been sitting with little care lately. I don't know if the impellers are original but I haven't replaced them. As for other issues, I can't think of anything but I haven't taken out on the lake in awhile. I bet it could use some throttle cable adjustments or other points lubed, but I do actually have the shop manual that details everything about working on the boat.​

Jet boats are new to me as I have mosrtly owned prop driven and sailboats. Have read about cavitation on these 96 Speedsters, but have very little knowledge about them. The seat covers are well worn, but photos of the hull and engines look reasonable.

I'd Appreciate advice on what to look for, whether this is a reasonable model to buy, what I should offer if it is, or if this is too risky to consider. Seller seemed to be honest in his description and has offered to meet me with the boat where he works next week (he was going out of town thie weekend)

Attachments

• 01717_jYxaUimXwG3_1200x900.jpg
    01717_jYxaUimXwG3_1200x900.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 01616_bhMa9jbT7tI_1200x900.jpg
    01616_bhMa9jbT7tI_1200x900.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 01313_2ztbaaNq4EC_1200x900.jpg
    01313_2ztbaaNq4EC_1200x900.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 00L0L_cwm0e4ESNtU_1200x900.jpg
    00L0L_cwm0e4ESNtU_1200x900.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 33
$2K.... I would simply bring a compression gauge, and ask what oil he runs. If the compression checks at 135 psi or better... and he's buring an API-tc oil... then go for it. (offer $1500)

The seat are easy. There's a member here who makes replacement covers. Couple hundred $$$... and it's good as new.

Cavitation is a possibility on any jet "Toy". But take a look into the pumps. If they aren't beat to hell... then it's not a big deal.

He's telling the truth about running it out of the water. It will sound ratty, and rattley. And... it's hard on the carbon seal. (The driveshaft seal) AND... it won't tell you anything other that the electrical is ok.

And finally... the random cutting out is probably a dirty contact on the lanyard... or the lanyard post is going bad. Seadoo uses a "Chip" key in the lanyard. So, if the rubber is warn, and the contacts are dirty... then it can lose that code info... and the MPEM shuts down. AND... internally... there is a magnetic switch. They are known to eventually give up. Since it's a 22 year old boat... I'm guessing that's the issue.

Good luck... let us know what you do.

Definitely check compression.
The 96 speedster I bought ran on the trailer in the guys driveway but ended up having 0 compression on one cylinder in the starboard engine.

Thanks for the advice, guys,

My KD compression gauge has a 18mm spark plug thread; what is the size of the plugs in the Speedster?

I am seeing new seat covers at about $360 to $400, covers from $150 to $500 (depennding on thether they are trailer-able), and a new bimini at $450 or about $1000 minimum added to the purchase price to bring it up to what I think I'd need. I am having second thoughts, but still may have a look. I just missed a 1997 in July last year for $1800 that was in better shape with cover, bimini, and trailer and had just been tuned by a seadoo shop but said "needs battery".

Last edited:
I never heard from the seller after he said he would be back in town the next Wednesday and the listing is now deleted so it must have sold. I had pretty much decided it was not a project I needed to add to my long project list, so not too disappointed. Thanks for all the replies and advice; I'll keep an eye out for another in better shape. I saw a listing for a 2004 Sporster 4-tek just now, but at $1000 I am sure it is one of those "send me the money through ebay by PayPal and I'll ship it to you" scams. Sent a reply email just to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back