96 GTX Steering Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC87SS

EDIT: Its my 95 GTX i am having the issue with.

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to replace a steering cable.
I looked at the parts diagram but still unsure of a couple things.
How does the plastic "nut" that goes on the outside of the hull come off? Hows does it go back on?
Does the cable screw thru the hull or just slide in?

While i was at the lake last week i lost steering, the sleeve came loose from the end by where the plastic "nut" is.
Is there a way to slide it back in and crimp or weld it? Can it be done on the ski or do i need to remove it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably just need the sleeve at the hull to repair that. I had the same thing happen to me. I had a friend repair it so I can't tell you how.
It doesn't seem to be that hard to do, I think the pump need to come off to give you room to work.

P.S. You must have the fastest GTX around with those "parachutes" on the back. :)

LOL They are cooler holders and they happen to have the covers in them in that picture.

So nobody has changed their steering cable and can give me some insight on how to get it out?

LOL They are cooler holders and they happen to have the covers in them in that picture.

So nobody has changed their steering cable and can give me some insight on how to get it out?

1. Pump off
2. Inside is a ~1" nut(pn#30) that has to come off threaded part of steering cable that goes thru hull.
3. Cable now loosen exposes the two half moon pieces(pn#44) held together with metal ring.
Slide half moon pieces out of metal ring(pn#30).
4. Go inside to disconnect steering from handlebars(pn#37 and #70)

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/se...&b=17&c=0&d=-HANDLEBAR-ASSY.-W/-STEERING-ASSY.

Have a black tip cover for handle bar pad if interested

To put it back to together:
I put the two half moon / metal ring together and slide cable with no ends thru hull.
Then slide nut on open end of cable. Slide it towards the back to and over threaded part and tighten down.
I uses a little silicone behind half moon pieces that get pushed up to hull to make better seal and then silicone around nut inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
The larger sleeve on the rear part of the cable was busted. I was able take the sleeve off the the reverser cable from my old ski and rebuild the steering cable.
Works like a champ.
Wish i had taken some pictures along the way, you guys would have been proud.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back