96 GTX oil leak and other misc. questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mon1800

Greetings all, I have a couple (what i hope are easy questions) for the community.

For start, I have a 1996 GTX. My curiosity is about production dates. There is a white sticker underneath the seat near the front that shows it was actually made in 11 of 96. Does this make it a 97? I know that on cars later month productions past July/August usually roll around to the next year. IE a 9/96 Ford F-150 would actually be a 97 model. Just making sure of the year so i can get proper parts and information on my Seadoo.

Finally, I have a question about the oil injection/tank system. Quick back story is that i purchased this seadoo REALLY cheap because the owner could not get it running. I need to some other maintenance and get a new key programmed to it, but i think it will turn out to be a great deal. In the bottom of the hull there is a fair piece (probably 7-8 tablespoons spread about) of injection oil. The previous owner did an awful job of maintaining the watercraft and there are zip ties on almost all of the injection clear hoses. Is this system under pressure to the point to where these zip ties need to be replaced with clamps? Do the reservoirs have a reputation for leaking or is there a common cause for leaks in this system? Can i use pressure to find leaks in the system?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

96 GTX's are great. Just picked up a couple for my winter project.

They can leak oil form the gromets on the bottom of the oil tank. Or he could have spilled the oil, or it could be seaping out of the zip ties. Or the small injection lines from the pump could be leaking or broken. Or he could have just bled the oil pump and did not catch the oil. Anyway, get some purple power cleaner from wallyworld and fully clean out the bilge. Then you should be able to see if and where it is leaking. Nothing in the oil system is under pressure except for the two small mini lines going from the oil pump to the motor.

As far as the year goes, the ski serial number will tell the model year. if it has a 96 in it, well it is a 96. The number is easy to see on the right rear tag on the back of the ski. The 96 and 97 skis are almost identical. But the MPEM (brain) may be different between the two. Besides that, I think just about all parts are interchangeable.

Hi & welcome again.

My 96 GTX leaked from the bigger grommet on the bottom of oil tank. A new grommet (under $10) fixed it.
Since it's 18 yrs old I would replace the painted oil line from pump to carbs with tygon line 3/32 in size. You can get them at ACE or any mower shop. I used ss clamps on my fuel line but small zip ties on these oil lines. I also replace the oil feed line from tank to pump with new clear tubing (must be able to handle oil). Good luck.

Thanks for the reply gentlemen. I will work on cleaning it out this weekend and try to locate the leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back