'96 GTX does not turn Right very well...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CZSteve

We have two identical 1996 GTX's and one does not turn right near as well as the other; turning left is fine.
We bought these skis used a few years ago and right or wrong I had only ridden the poor performing ski for any extended time and assumed this was normal - out last weekend I was on the other ski and it was a night-and-day difference; the other turned MUCH better, pretty much equal between right and left.

Once home I compared the nozzles orientation - the better performing ski was 'maybe' orientated 'slightly' more to the right but nothing at all that would cause me to expect that was the contributing factor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Broken cable? Turn the bars to the right. Can you move the nozzle back and forth without the bars moving?

Chester

Cable is not broken and seems to be in good shape.
Very strange as the 'feel' of the steering feels identical between the two doo's - but this one is very noticeable in that it does not turn near as well as it should.

Thanks

If the cable is broken inside the cable housing, you cannot tell just by looking at it. Did you try what I said?

Chester

The steering cable probably was replaced and not adjusted right. To adjust the nut at the transom that secures the cable must be loose while adjusting the alignment on the steering column. How is the alignment of the bars?

If the cable is broken inside the cable housing, you cannot tell just by looking at it. Did you try what I said?

Chester

Yep - if you move the nozzle the bars move accordingly; also very smoothly.
Comparing the two models side-side the nozzles appear to be pretty much identical - on the trouble one the nozzle is ever slightly not as far to the right but IMO not enough to cause this drastic of a difference.
I'll take some pics this weekend to post if it helps.

Thanks again.

check the nut on the jet pump plate where the steering cable goes through it. i'd also just replace the cable as well...

Why don't you just adjust it? Did you check to see if everything is tight at both ends? Are the bars straight with the nozzle perfectly straight? Follow the procedure in the manual to adjust the cable.

Chester

check the nut on the jet pump plate where the steering cable goes through it. i'd also just replace the cable as well...

I had the same issue with mine last year. It was this nut on the jet pump plate. Number 65 in the picture, OEM P/N 277 000 052.2017-07-31 15_47_31-1996-seadoo-gtx-parts-catalog.pdf.jpg

It may be an "under load" issue only. Such as a housing flexing. Have someone hold the nozzle and turn the bars. See if they can turn without the nozzle moving.

Yep. I busted that nut at 65 MPH at WOT in a direct line to shore, and with only 12 feet to spare stopped!!!

I could turn left. So a whole-lotta-lefts later I made it to the ramp.

My steering was always heavy on my XP, so I took it as a sign to replace the cable. Now it's butter smooooth, and I've only been on it once since :(

Bingo - The nut holding the cable to pump plate was broken. There was enough tension that it did enable some turning and was not obvious out of the water until I had my son hold the bars while I put pressure on the nozzle and then discovered the slop and broken screw.

Ordered the brass alloy version to avoid the plastic problem.
Should I use anti-seize or teflon tape when installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back