96 Challenger - Low Top Speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TxState

I've been working on a 1996 SeaDoo Challenger with a 787 Rotax and I can't get the top speed above about 33mph on smooth water. Top engine speed of 6,000RPMs*

Things I've done:
- replaced wear ring
- trimmed spark plugs wires
- cleaned rave valves
- rebuilt exhaust rave valve
- rebuilt carburetor

Losing my mind. Not sure where to go from here. Compression was roughly 130psi on both cylinders but I've read that a lot of guages aren't very accurate so the actual pressure might be different. The cylinders were giving identical readings though.

It's been getting a little bit better with each fix. Carb rebuild was the latest thing. It runs smoothly now but I just can't seem to get the top speed up. I've read that most people with this boat usually have RPMs higher than 6k at WOT. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You're shy on RPM should be around 6,900-7k

Borrow a gauge from an auto store, if you're truly at 130 it's time for a rebuild.

I did borrow a guage from an auto store. I've read that unless you have a high end compression guage, they're generally unreliable for an absolute value - that they're mostly only good for relative values.
Also, why would compression be low on both cylinders?

The harbor freight one i used and compared to my buddies Snap on read exactly the same number. Luck of the draw I guess, go to a different store and borrow another one. Just like a Dr. go for a second opinion.

Sure. But wouldn't you like to try another gauge for free or do you want to possibly spend unnecessary money?

I meant, "can I get away with just a top end rebuild to improve compression as opposed to an entire rebuild (top & bottom) of the engine?"

Also you have an accelerator pump on your carb. Could be the issue
Also you won't know until you take off the head if you need a full rebuild. FYI. 130 is low should be at least 150 but still 33 @ 6000 is low check the pump 1st.

No accelerator pump on my '96. Is the carb adjustment correct so both carbs open fully at WOT? Can you feel the raves opening when running? I think mine are adjusted to open around 4500-5k, and you can definitely feel the difference in power and rpm. New plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back