Disconnected exhaust

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medbitt55

So I have a 1997 Seadoo SPX that has been having top end RPM/Speed issues when in water. When out of water I can mash on the throttle and there does not seem like there is an issue, it revs and tops out with the signature 2-stroke sound at top end. When in the water, I have mild acceleration to about half the top end speed and what sounds like half top end RPM. I can let go of the throttle and it goes right back to idling normally. Hitting the throttle it speeds up to this half level and after that it doesn't matter how much throttle you give, it acts like it is maxed out. If you own a Seadoo like this you know that kick when it starts to get into high gear, that is totally lacking. When removing spark plugs the PTO plug looks normal but the MAG side is WHITE (lean). I have done a TON of things, basically the only thing I have not done or looked at is tearing the motor down to the crank, which I am trying to avoid since its summer.
-Replaced fuel lines (1/4" ID tubing)
-new spark plugs
-checked for spark, good spark
-cleaned rave valves
-cleaned carb and carb filter
-compression test good
-Both piston are not scored and the tops look like normal wear
-factory settings on carb screws (and even adjusted in the water for an hour trying to tune it)
-inspected cooling flow (even removing the cylinder head cover checking its not blocked), no issue except finding the water regulator was missing its spring
-Ordered a new water regulator spring
-Ordered a new voltage regulator

I have 2 questions
1) would a missing water regulator spring cause this lack of top end?
2) if the water tank was disconnect, the exhaust curves down and around the engine but the rubber connecter was missing a screw clamp so exhaust was escaping into the hull and at one point was totally disconnected from the water tank. Could this cause the issue?
3) Would any of this cause one cylinder to be lean? Its really odd because its the MAG cylinder which is the fuel intake carb. The PTO carb spark plug looks normal.

Im wondering both about the lack of top end RPM/Speed and the lean nature of the MAG cylinder.

Thanks everyone! This is driving me crazy. I also have a 1995 Seadoo SPX that I rebuilt completely this winter and it is running like a champ. I just cant figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back