951 crank rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajp2

Hello all, who says you can't rebuild a 2 stroke crank at home. Here are pictures of my homemade cradle fixture which I use with my log splitter to press 951 crankshafts apart replace all bearings and seals and press back together. It works great and I'm able to meet factory IMAG2451.jpgIMAG2453.jpgIMAG2457.jpgIMAG2460.jpgrun-out spec.

Wow, if you could do it for less and faster than the replacement/ cores, you could be in business...or at least in your neighbourhood. OR. Do a detailed video, so all us techs, would get a log splitter, and maybe a press,( that we have have). I assume any of us techs, have a press, and don't have the tools/ jigs, or efficient time to do it. Believe me, , we have a press, and if I could just get the bearings/ seals, and do the replacement cheaper, I would.

I priced crank rebuild kits and they only saved $150 if I remember correctly. That wasn't worth the trouble for me but then I never tried it. :) I think it is really cool what Ajp2 did. Kinda dispels all the talk about some shops saying "nobody can match our quality." I love it !!!! I hope this inspires others. I now feel the need to share the PTO removal tool I made when someone said, I'd never get the PTO off with the crank out of the engine. :D:D Didn't take long to do and I could have made it a whole lot nicer. Put that impact wrench on there and.... zip... right off. Didn't even put the crank in a vise. Feel free to copy it. LOLPTO Puller.jpgPTO Puller-B.jpgPTO Puller-C.jpg

The biggest issue is having the correct spacers so the bearings are set at the exact location and so you don’t pinch the webs when pressing on the other parts.

Then having the tools, skill and patience to get the runout within spec.

Wow, if you could do it for less and faster than the replacement/ cores, you could be in business...or at least in your neighbourhood. OR. Do a detailed video, so all us techs, would get a log splitter, and maybe a press,( that we have have). I assume any of us techs, have a press, and don't have the tools/ jigs, or efficient time to do it. Believe me, , we have a press, and if I could just get the bearings/ seals, and do the replacement cheaper, I would.
When I looked into it a rebuilt crank was around $500 and bearings and seals cost me about $150.

I priced crank rebuild kits and they only saved $150 if I remember correctly. That wasn't worth the trouble for me but then I never tried it. :) I think it is really cool what Ajp2 did. Kinda dispels all the talk about some shops saying "nobody can match our quality." I love it !!!! I hope this inspires others. I now feel the need to share the PTO removal tool I made when someone said, I'd never get the PTO off with the crank out of the engine. :D:D Didn't take long to do and I could have made it a whole lot nicer. Put that impact wrench on there and.... zip... right off. Didn't even put the crank in a vise. Feel free to copy it. LOLView attachment 45044View attachment 45045View attachment 45046
When there's a will there's a way. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back