What to do with used cranks

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

pantaloonz

WOOPS: Could a Moderator please move this to the General 2stroke forum.. my bad.

Good day fellow waternauts!

cutting right to the chase, I've got two 951 DI cranks, one with the PTO coupler on, one without.
These are not in bad shape at all. The rods are straights and overall condition is good. Not all the bearings turn and thus I'm thinking rebuild

-- does a full on deisel bath sometimes clear the gunk/goo from these things or non spinning bearings usually more than gunk build up

I did check out Competitive crankshafts, but after shipping, and even offering me a little credit I can get a new kit - crank+pistions+gaskets for not much more dough.

I'm seriously considering getting a press, doing the rebuilds, and either reusing with kits or selling refurb on ebay
I'd prefer to sell them but the demand seems really low..

Anyone have any experience tearing these down using a run of the mill H press. Harbor Freight carries these for under $200 bucks..

Am I foolin myself? :)

-pantz

There is a reason they charge so much for a good rebuild, it is not something a shade tree mechanic can do with just a standard press. Especially a multiple cylinder crank. Takes a lot of skill, patience and having the correct equipment to true them.

No, cleaning them will not fix the bearings, especially a 951 crank as they let go spectacularly.

Gasp!
Did you just assume my mechanic status?? ShadeTree! - quite apropros I must say. :D

I'm not discounting their work, you've recommended them, Im sure its notch.

But when a rebuilt is $700 (all said and done shipping) vs say a WSM kit for $800(with pistons and gaskets).. seems a better deal to get the kit.

I am a self admitted part timer wrencher at best, so that's why I asked. Even If I could drive these somewhere and get a few bucks for them it would be worth it.

I've read a lot of your post Miki, great stuff
-pantz

I am just saying that these cranks are more than a simple press apart., believe me I went down that rabbit hole too thinking I would save hundreds.
There are no index marks and keyways and they can easily shift during assembly
You are going to need sensitive dial indicators, V-Blocks and experience truing multi cylinder cranks and the special alignment jigs for setting bearing depth and runout.

SBT will pay you for cores.

Yes, it sucks they are so expensive. I was buying them directly from Seadoo but they stopped selling them too.

Gasp!
Did you just assume my mechanic status?? ShadeTree! - quite apropros I must say. :D

I'm not discounting their work, you've recommended them, Im sure its notch.

But when a rebuilt is $700 (all said and done shipping) vs say a WSM kit for $800(with pistons and gaskets).. seems a better deal to get the kit.

I am a self admitted part timer wrencher at best, so that's why I asked. Even If I could drive these somewhere and get a few bucks for them it would be worth it.

I've read a lot of your post Miki, great stuff
-pantz
That seems awful high. I talked to him last year and they were a lot cheaper but that wasn't with shipping. I know a guy that is rebuilding cranks. He started just like you are talking about doing. I think he split is first crank using a log splitter for a press. LOL I bought my DI fuel pressure testors from him. He has upgraded equipment since then and was in the $400 range last time I talked to him a couple months ago. No reason why you can't build your own crank. It would be an adventure. He is a good guy to talk to if you're thinking about doing your own crank. I didn't shop around much but it looked like parts were $200. Not saying good parts can't be found much cheaper. I'd never buy a package as all they are doing is buying and marking up the price. I could do a crank and I have a buddy that has done many cranks and offered to do mine. I think it is too much of a pain in the azz so I'd rather pay. :) Good Luck.

I

Back