95 XP 717 won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgiffune

After sitting for idle for three weeks (it ran fine three weeks ago), my 95 xp 717 wouldn't start today.

It's making a 'ticking' sound, and like something is spinning. I'm not getting the 'CLICK CLICK' like when the battery is dying. This is coming from the electronic module.

I pulled the starter, and used jumper cables to a car battery, and the plunger engages and the starter spins.

I jumped the solenoid posts with a screwdriver, and I still don't get he loud 'CLICK' like when the starter engages. Just what sounds like the starter spinning, disengaged from the engine.

Could I still be looking at looking at a bad solenoid? something else?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery is low on voltage. Not enough amps to get the starter to spin fast enough to throw the bendix out.

Charge the battery,,,

Thanks for the reply! I think you may be right and the battery may be at the end of it's like. I left it on a charger over night, and got one CLICK out of it when I jumped the relay. Battery was bought in spring of 2015, and always kept on a trickle charger. Seem like a short life for a battery. I used to get at least a couple years out of them.

Off to buy a battery today.....now I wish I hadn't taken the time removing that starter!

Thanks again!

Put a voltmeter on the battery, when hitting start the voltage should not go below about 11v.

If voltage stays up at battery you very possibly have a bad cable to the starter. Starter removal/replace is fun, huh?

Might try cleaning all the connections and protecting with dielectric grease. If a new battery does not solve issue.

Thanks guys! The battery was the problem. I should know to start with the simple things first. I've never seen a dead battery exhibit quite this symptom, so I stupidly jumped to conclusions.

I should have come here first and saved myself some time!

There's an old saying: When hearing hoof beats, think Horses not Zebras.
In other words, look at the Common stuff before you think Exotic stuff.
Diagnosis, before throwing parts at problem.
The information you seek is: In a book, on the Internet or in someones brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back