95 Sportster 2 Stroke Bombadier Start issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would check with www.sbtontheweb.com for a swap price myself. I bet the dealer will charge you like couple hundred more in labor alone. Than the whole swap... Most dealers are at $99.00 per hour...times 8 hrs.=$800.00?? Plus parts?

Karl

Have you had this boat for a while and does it perform as it should? If not you may want to save money and first find out if it has other isues as it could easly cost you $2000.00 in repairs before you even replace engine. that price is if you fix most of it your self. ps. I only speak from experince.

what would be so bad about installing two ball valves one on each large oil line to fix problem? Sure would be cheaper than new engine. if you can turn water hose off and on I would not think this would be a problem. Any replies?

Robin putting a ball valve on the hose to limit the flow of oil is just like putting a band aid on a health problem like skin cancer. Resolve the problem before it kills the patient.

Karl

I have to disagree with you on that one karl. If we are going to buy a new sbt engine then I would say the patient is all ready dead. If we were to incorperate a couple of ball valves at about a $50.00 exspence I would almost be willing to bet the engine would last another 2 or 3 years. 1 drop of oil every 5 to 10 minutes would add up to 1/2 to 1 gallon over a period of 180 days and would not even be noticeable when runing. may or may not be seen on start up but who cares at that price. If I were to agree I would also think that installing seals in the middle of a split crank shaft that keeps a good volume of oil in place would be a good idea. I have a good feeling that other pwc engine manufactures use a different idea that does not flood crankcase with oil. I guess that was the only thing they could come up with when they designed this engine. they do have to keep the cost down and valves would be a added exspence that would not be needed until engine has age on it. I would of thought they would have found a beter sealing techneak. There are always ways to improve on designs. I would be almost be willing to bet there are other aplacations in the world that have had simalir isuse and found ways to overcome the problem by adding different types of valves. I am sure there are even 12 volt electric valves that are only on when boat is on. If you have plenty of money you can allways buy a new boat and you will be less likely to have all the problems of an old boat. I just try to get the bigest bang for my buck. these are only my opinions. Like I have said plenty of times before I can allways be wrong. Maybe someone who finds a junk ski that is not worth repairing will be able to get more life out of engine buy reading my opinions. :cheers: I do know that many engine manufactures install valves on fuel line to help with flooding isues. I have seen many small engines with this problem that could have some times been avoided by simply turning of the gas. the fix is normally inlet neadle and seat. but if problem only shows up during storage I see nothing wrong with turning off the gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to check a little more about your problem so that your new engine does not have same problem. Not mine but does seem to be very wise.The 587, 657. and 717 series Rotax engines use a Mikuni injection pump with external one way flow check valves, mounted to the pump via banjo fittings. Many times if the valve does not seat properly for what ever reason, you will end up with a crankcase full of oil. This will normally not occur overnight, but will show up over a period of time, specifically when the ski is stored for any length of time, longer than several weeks. The conditions described by this patricular member would indicate that the check valve could very well be the cause. Numerous times in the shop, our junior techs would assume that the RV seals have failed, only to perform a pressure/leakdown on the crankcase and find nothing wrong. The next step would be to inspect the injector pump, and invaribly one of the two check valves has stuck open.
With extremely long term storage skis, this can result in oil filling both cylinders, as the oil will penetrate beyond the RV and into the covered intake port.

The Sea-Doo part number for the check valve is 420956010 MSRP is $8.43, the sealing washers are 404146600 MSRP $0.67.

This would be a good time to replace the injection hoses 414413800, MSRP $0.79 per foot and clamps 290853843, MSRP $1.24. I sure hope this helps. Robin :hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back