95 SPi Removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loganab13

So my question is, I've had a 95 SPi for a little over a year now, and haven't had much time to do anything to it. The fuel lines have been replaced, selector switch cleaned, and carb rebuilt with a genuine Mikuni kit. However, in the process of cleaning the carb, I decided to take the easy way out and pull the rotary valve cover off, and managed to drop the bottom bolt into the hull when reassembling. (that bolt is a b!tch to get to, by the way) anyway, back to my question. is there anything I should look out for when pulling the motor to retrieve the bolt, as well as clean the inside of the hull?

If you pull the engine you will need to align it with the proper tool when you reinstall.

If you pull the engine you will need to align it with the proper tool when you reinstall.

Yep, I know all about the alignment process. I will have to rent one, I know there are a few members on here that have them available for rent. I'm pretty familiar with the 787's but know almost nothing about the little 580's. I probably shouldn't waste my time on the SPi but it was free & is a fun little machine, but nothing compared to a true x4!!

The SPI is very fun for what it is. You will need a new o-ring for the rotary cover. DO NOT reuse the old one!

Dude. Hold up. Why in the world why would you remove the engine to get the bolt. That is crazy dude. Go to ace hardware and just get a new one. It'll be like less than a dollar, make sure to get it in stainless. Once again, do not remove the engine

the reason for pulling the engine isn't to get the bolt, its to clean the hull & go over anything that would be hard to reach with the engine in the hull. I'm not dead set on pulling it or anything. when you're a perfectionist like me it's hard not to go over every little detail. honestly I probably won't end up pulling it, i just figured if I ever do remove the engine it would be nice to know any small details on how to do so.

The easy way to clean is to leave the engine in, take the big plastic air cleaner off and put a plastic bag over the carb to keep water out. Spray the engine with 100% Simple Green and everything else with Castrol Super Clean. Let is sit for a few minutes then scrub with a stiff nylon brush then let it sit a few more minutes. I usually elevate the front of the ski to get the water to drain out the back then rinse good with the hose. You will be amazed how clean it gets. The only reason I don't use the super clean on the engine and pipe is because it can take the gloss off the paint but you need it's strength to get the hull clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back