95 speedster restoration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantheman13

Hey guys , new to the forum and new to the boating community.
I work for a local automotive mechanic shop just outside pensacola ,FL.
I recently purchased a 95 speedster . in in okay shape , no hull damage and sundamage is fair , came with engines removed , the seats out and re done already. Trailer is in shitty shape though .
I'm not a big fan of the BIG boats but these little "go karts " are fun , this thing is 5 yrs younger than I , and I remember absolutely loving the ride .

So currently it appears I have all components except carbs , and one prop assembly . I got this vessel for a steal , the gentlemen was going to restore it but hurt his back lifting out the engines and was forced to sell , came with 2 new starters and engine mounts , few electronics .

Now BEFORE I drop some coin on gaskets sets and such . Anyway aside from and visual inspection , can I check anything with the engines to ensure they are good ? I am a very experienced auto tech , but do not know a damn thing about marine .
This is my first boat but I have all professional tools and the ability to make this happen !
Thanks for the patience guys

Attachments

• 2462.jpeg
    2462.jpeg
    1,007 KB · Views: 63
  • 2460.jpeg
    2460.jpeg
    862.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 0807181709.jpg
    0807181709.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
Are the engines together? If they are... do a compression check. You are looking for 150 psi. If they aren't... then it's just visual, and measure the parts.

Yes sir , previous owner said one engine he heard run again .
Other engine had locked up starter , I have two brand new ones .
Engines were removed to paint and freshen up a couple things , change mounts . He said carbs were toasted but I did not receive them with purchase so I'm looking for a set .

Carbs should be on eBay , and many parts but it will be a bit expensive. Download the manual and read up as much as possible on it , I have the same boat and they're alot of maintenance when running. You'll need 4 carbs total, and if buying used expect to rebuild them. If the carbs were toasted it may have engine damage, check compression. Also check Craigslist etc for a cheap parts boat or parts, as many are no longer made and can be expensive or difficult to find.

You can do a compression check with the engines out. Just put 12v on the starters, and they will spin.

Carbs should be on eBay , and many parts but it will be a bit expensive. Download the manual and read up as much as possible on it , I have the same boat and they're alot of maintenance when running. You'll need 4 carbs total, and if buying used expect to rebuild them. If the carbs were toasted it may have engine damage, check compression. Also check Craigslist etc for a cheap parts boat or parts, as many are no longer made and can be expensive or difficult to find.
Carbs were bad is what he said , but I feel like he kept them for something . That is just what my belly told me , but I found rebuilds eBay . As far as a manual was handed that on CD .
Lol dont put that damage mojo on meh ! Paid $500 for everything ..... Everything will be okay , all is well haha *fingers crossed *
But when I get back to the shop I will run a compression check on both engine .
What specifically are these bad boys? Obviously 2 cyl but ...?

Carbs should be on eBay , and many parts but it will be a bit expensive. Download the manual and read up as much as possible on it , I have the same boat and they're alot of maintenance when running. You'll need 4 carbs total, and if buying used expect to rebuild them. If the carbs were toasted it may have engine damage, definetly check compression . Also check Craigslist etc for a cheap parts boat or parts, as many are no longer made and can be expensive or difficult to find.
Carbs were bad is what he said , but I feel like he kept them for something . That is just what my belly told me , but I found rebuilds eBay . As far as a manual was handed that on CD .
Lol dont put that damage mojo on meh ! Paid $500 for everything ..... Everything will be okay , all is well haha *fingers crossed *
But when I get back to the shop I will run a compression check on both engine .
What specifically are these bad boys? Obviously 2 cyl but ...?

657x twin rotax engines , some engine and carb parts are interchangeable with 1994/95 jet skis. Believe they are 85hp per motor.

Aftermarket starters are junk and will leave you stranded. Aftermarket carb kits are junk and will have you chasing your tail best case and trash your engine worst case.

The 650X makes 80 HP the 720 is 85HP.

Well winter is around the corner and the boat is going to make its journey home , but first ... I need to weld some new parts onto this trailer .
Now I can weld . I work at an auto shop and got everything I need .
But the question is , are these just generic trailers ? I need to know the cross member. Dimensions being as mine is rusted out .
Going to replace shackles possibly leaf springs. Already have tires and bearing kits .

Yes they are pretty generic from brand to brand. I would just make it a little stronger than you think it needs to be.

I have a solid galvanized trailer with a complete 96 Speedster(with title) project on it I'd sell for 500. I'm an hour from Pensacola.

Engines are home , going to run compression .
Question is , would the gold nut be the (+)
And the bracket on the back (-) ?

Cross member and new shackles ordered . Tires and bearings already at the shop .
Then rebuild the bunks and paint the trailer .
Pics to come .

Attachments

• 1021181139.jpg
    1021181139.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 45
  • 1021181138.jpg
    1021181138.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 42
Hey man, I'm in Pensacola also. In the process of purchasing a 1997. It is in good shape and runs on the water just fine (taking it out before I buy it next week). Just wanted to throw my info out there in case either of us need a hand. This is my first boat so this winter I want to take it apart and figure out the engines, etc.

Wait your not buying that one they are asking 4650 for are you? We have been laughing at that dude for months, he started at 5250. I'll sell a good 97 Speedster for 3K(and I have a good one) just for reference.

Engines are home , going to run compression .
Question is , would the gold nut be the (+)
And the bracket on the back (-) ?

Just in case you haven't got around to it yet, yes, the side
terminal on plastic base is positive. There's a third 'ear'
on driven end, for ground cable. You can probably get
away with using the bracket for grounding, just for
compression checks.

Wait your not buying that one they are asking 4650 for are you? We have been laughing at that dude for months, he started at 5250. I'll sell a good 97 Speedster for 3K(and I have a good one) just for reference.

I did buy that one, but I paid significantly less than that for it. A little more than $3k but I’m happy with it. He was way over priced at $4650.

When painting the dash, did you pull it off or just tape it off and paint around it? Mine is faded and needs a restore paint job for sure.

The color comes back with a fine grit sanding sponge. If that is not enough you can finish with a product called Wipe New.

I think the OP might have given up on the 95 project but I'm not sure this is him. 15' Sea Doo Speedster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back