95 & 96 XP's both died

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Hi all, i'm brand new to the Seadoo world and obviously new to this forum. I just bought 2 Seadoo's a '95 XP & a '96 XP.I bought them in QLD Aust. and drove them back down to Adelaide - on their trailer (about 2000k's). Took them out on the weekend without doing any work on them just to try them out. One ran fine for about 2 hours before finally stopping. The other one only ran for about 10 minutes. Apparently they hadn't been used much in the past 12 months. They both had full tanks of fuel and oil - not sure how old the fuel was. They both stopped in a similar manner - the engine just slowed to an idle and then stopped. My feeling is that it may be fuel related but I don't understand why one would have run much longer than the other. The engines didnt make any terrible sounds and they still crank over ok now. One even tried to fire up. I'm thinking maybe a fuel blockage or contamination or maybe just old fuel. How do I drain the fuel? Do i just syphon it out? I noticed on one of the threads here talk of a very small filter in the carby's - are these prone to blockages? are they easy to remove? Can they be cleaned or should they be replaced? Any help or advice would be appreciated, please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Cheers
Nigel

your on the right path, biggsy. Depending on, if the 95xp is the yellow w/pink graphics, if so, then both xp's have same motor. Either way, you need to remove the carbs. Remove the airbox first, then everything is visible. As long as you carefully disassemble the carbs, then theres no need for rebuild kits. Get a few cans of carb cleaner, and go at it. While your in there, now would be a good time to remove the grey fuel lines, and replace w/ new auto fuel lines, around 30ft for both skis, total. The internal flters can be cleaned with cleaner, but be cautious, they could rip.

Think this might help get yuo started. Also, the motor/s with the black caps on them, with red dots, you need to remove those "valves", for cleaning as well. You can clean the carbon off with cleaner and a razor blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back