'94 sea doo spi won't run?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdaugherty

I recently bought a used '94 sea doo spi. It wouldn't start when I bought it had the starter checked and rebuilt. Took it out the first time last week and it ran great for about an hour. Then the sea doo started surging and would cut out after just a short time of running above idle. The oil level light(I think) red light above gas gauge came on. took the seat off and checked and one of the oil hoses had come loose and all the oil drained into the hull. replaced the line put a new hose clamp on and refilled the oil tank. Sea doo will still not run. At this time I drained the fuel tank cleaned the carb changed the plugs and pulled the heads. Cylinder walls and pistons appear fine carb was a little dirty but not to bad, clean now. When plugs are out of head I cannot hold my thumb over hole when cranked I don't have an actual compression gauge. Also put plug in boot and hold to head it does spark. The oil light still come on everytime I hit the starter, is there a reset button? I have disconnected the battery to see if it would reset the light with no benefit. Any help for a newby would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. The '96 gts I bought with the spi runs great!!!

The light means the oil level sensor detects low oil in the tank. DO NOT reuse the
oil in bottom of ski! Pull rear bilge plug, tilt nose up and catch the oil in a pan and
dispose of it. Then mix 5 gallon HOT water and laundry soap, pour in to ski (put plug
back in) and drive ski around about a half hour, then stop at a car wash, pull plug,
tilt nose and rinse. Refill oil level. Dribble some Pre-mix in *plug holes & carb and
retry starting. If you have Grey lins, up-date the fuel circulatory system. 99% of Seadoo problems are fuel related. Gas goes bad in 3-4 weeks. Then it goes thru a chemical change that is irreverseable. Dispose of that properly, Go thru carbs. Bills86e

I did not re use the oil, thank you for the suggestion on cleaning, I do have it mostly cleaned out now but will try this if I ever get it running. I will try dribbling pre-mix in plug holes and carb and see how that works. Also the oil tank is almost half full and the light is still staying on but the ski never actually starts so it may be a pre run check like in a car I just don't know thats why I'm asking any other help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Ok finally got it to bust off after figuring out that oil level and fuel level only appeared half full because trailer was tilted up so far(my dumb mistake) now when it starts it immediatly goes to around half throttle. Not able to try to adjust. Carb yet because I don't want to run it more than a few seconds on trailer. I do have a water connecter to connect to hose how long can I run on that? Also I did turn the 2 adjustment screws I saw(ones with T handle type screws) the directions I thought would turn rpm down started agai (after setting for a while) and it did the same high rpm rev when started. Any advice on carb adjustment?

Please HELP??

Took to the lake yesterday got it to run and idle just fine, would rev quick and run just as good as the other in the marina. Got to open water and took off and planed out ran great I was starting to think it was fixed and then it died running about 30mph or so and 3/4 throttle. started back up after just a few seconds cranking took off again and same thing. Please anyone have any advice I'm lost?? Also this ski is very unstable after it dies comes to a complete stop and your setting on it in wide open water, pretty hard to balance and not roll over is there a fix for that??

First... get a manual and read it. The T-handle screws are the high speed jets and should be almost closed. Sounds like you still have junk from the old grey lines getting in to carb. Did you clean out the gas tank. Did you clean out fuel filter. Did you clean out small interior filter in the carb, behind the fuel pump? did you change out the old gray fuel lines? ALL are required. Maybe even a carb rebuild.

You can run the engine dry for about 10-15 sec. and then start water hose for five minutes, then shut off water and run until no water is coming out, about 5 sec., and then stop.

Thanks deepdiver for your quick reply. grey fuel lines have been replaced by previous owner with automotive fuel line. I cleaned fuel bowl/filter and took carb apart and cleaned filter and the rest of the carb. I did download a service manual and set the adjustment screws per spec think it was 3/4-11/4 turns out for low speed and cant remember the high speed. Also I siphoned out the tank completely then put 3 gallons 93 octane with sta-bil and lucus fuel treatment in and let set for a day then siphoned out again and refilled with 93 octane and added a few ounces of the lucus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back