94(?)-96 717 gas tank recalls

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

96spxpos

It's widely known that there was the service bulletin/recall on the 94-96 XP/SPX/HX gas tanks, on "certain" models. When I purchased my HX a year ago, I went into the dealership with the HIN from my SPX and HX. The SPX either didn't qualify or was replaced already (I vaguely remember receiving a wrapped up gas tank in 2011 as an extra part when I bought my SPX with the donor hull) but my HX did need the tank replaced. The dealer said to bring it in and they'd take care of it.

Does anyone know if it is JUST the tank itself, or are there other components they replace? I heard the fuel filler neck (mines new) and other components like the vents would be replaced too, but without confirmation. Do they replace the baffle as well?
Thanks!
(Called the dealership and they told me there's no way to tell until I bring it in)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its the same tank that goes in the 95/96 xp the 9 gal. tank then it is only the tank itself nothing more. The fuel neck of the tank itself was prone to cracking.

Hey [MENTION=70126]Austrian Rotax[/MENTION] I think the recall bulletin was the same, but the HX tank is actually different. It has a large diameter hole in it for the secondary driveshaft/coupling to go thru, a la the 97+XP .. I heard it was just the tank itself on the XP but if the neck was cracking, why wouldn't they replace the neck as well? Unless you're saying they included the filler neck with the tank.

The HX has that tubed filler neck as well as a riser neck that sits on the outside of the ski that is encased in the external gas tank pad. THAT neck on mine cracked and I had to replace.. On the HX that neck is prone to crack bc it's hard plastic. The retaining nut is also prone to crack due to vibration

Well what I mean by the filler neck is that round hard plastic piece coming out of the tank I guess its called the riser neck. where the filler hose would attach over it with screw clamp. I don't know much about the HX, for my skis the small fuel neck is a molded part of the tank itself cant be removed, its the part that cracked supposedly. Both my 95 and 96 xp original tanks had no cracks and were good but a new tank was nice to get rid of the ton of debris that had collected in them over time.

All the tanks have the same neck. On the HX it has a filler neck extension on the outside of the ski. The only part under warranty is probably just the tank. If I remember I'll call my dealer on Monday to check my HX.

Hey [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] I JUST left dealership and on my HX the actual fuel valve selector is also included so that's a plus. He will be calling me back Monday regarding drop off and time. At first he said seadoo would only go back X amount of years yet I was told it was forever. It is covered and he also liked to add in that BRP is not so generous with the reimbursement to them for doing the work, so he was kinda hinting that it's not worth their time to do it..
Needless to say, he came around and was actually helpful. I also mentioned that the front crank seal more than likely needs to be replaced and I asked that since it's already out of the ski, is there a discount on the work/labor if I have them do the front crank seal. He said yes, but not much, as they have to split the cases.. He said it would be about 2 hours or so of labor. And I mentioned that I know the crank seal itself is only like $7 so he knows that I won't be taken for a ride..

I know you want to fix that engine/carb issue, but I REALLY would pressure test the engine. I never was a firm believer in the spray and pray technique. If you want to borrow my chit just let me know. 1of500 has half of it and I have the top piece for the exhaust mani block off. I'll need to know so he can just ship it to you instead. You cover the shipping costs. Where you sprayed the stuff that gasket is about a 1/2" wide all the way around. You would need to have a pretty decent size void in that gasket or warp in the housing or loose housing. Just thinking logically is all. Well, that and pessimistically, no one is touching the bottom end of one of my engines. And magically it will take more than 2 hours and you'll be paying for them to install the tank and align the engine. Remember, they didn't really want to touch the ski and then he came around.......was that after you told him you wanted the seal replaced?

207.jpg

No he knew from the beginning, but i just bought this setup literally 15 min ago to pressure test, bc I was told this "bleeder" can also work as a pump, big just a vaccuum

Yes I'm the same way, I really don't want any dealership touching my stuff, just that I'm limited with resources as far as tools, etc.. For example for me to do the crank seal if it is leaking, mag or pto, I don't have the flywheel or pto pullers etc, and not that I'm opposed to purchasing them, but for the cost I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense, including the fact that although I've fixed more issues on these two skis than anything I've ever heard of, I have NEVER split the cases and dealt with a bottom end.
What Is that gasket? I thought the crank seal looks like this?
208.jpg

I contacted my local dealer twice with my HIN and they never got back to me about the recall status.... So, I couldn't tell you, unfortunately.

I contacted my local dealer twice with my HIN and they never got back to me about the recall status.... So, I couldn't tell you, unfortunately.

Cal your dealer and tell them you'll wait while they look it up on the computer................it's that fast. Don't let them jerk you around. Heck, my dealer even told me the prior owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back