787 to 951 swap?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spade88

Any opinions for scrapping a 787 for a 951 in a 96 xp. Just trying to get a feel for any hurdles I may face other that the electronics ect.. I can imagine this wouldnt be a bolt in operation, fitting exhaust, making brackets or any machining would not be a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Weight.......

If you got the electricals; from what it sounds like, you've got an idea of what you'll be making. The biggest difference I see will be the added weight of the 951 motor and the possible lack of integrity of the hull to support that kind of power.:cheers:

Good Point.

Exellent Point, maybe a little hull renforcement , get a little crazy with some resin and woven mat. Im thinking it would make for a fun ride though.

I've been reading up a bit on this, wondering if I could do it in my Challenger...

So far it sounds like the 951 Carb motor has exactly the same mounts as the 787, but the front mount is on the wrong side... check pwctoday, there's someone on there that's already done it in two skis.

gettin crazy!...

I think you can do anything you want, if you put your mind to it. I saw a vid from Seadoofeed where someone took a motor from a Datsun or some other little car and put it in a Seadoo boat. It sounded really funny, but it ran. It did'nt ever really seem to plane off. I bet from the motor position and weight.

I've thought a lot of getting a small gas turbine engine, like from an old Army suprlus outlet and shafting it to a ski........you know, like the Miss Budweiser?

The only real limitations of "mods" is the imagination. If someone really wants to change something, you can. But for the most part, it's hard enough just keeping what you got running!..........:cheers:

sounds pretty wild of a ride if the ski can accomodate the increased weight properly. the only hang up i can see would be the increased width of the engine. I honestly dont think a 951 will fit in the ski without cutting into the fiberglass..the exhaust alone is almost twice the size in diameter.

I've been considering doing this mod myself. I know quite a few guys who have pulled this off before. I know for a fact that the hull is strong enough for the added weight of the 947 even for wave jumping... however, you must fabricate a new mounting position for the front motor mount and exhaust outlet. The 947/951 is a reverse of the 787. On that note only use the silver motors. There is a website somewhere where a guy did this and documented it step by step. If I can find it I will post it. If you mod or go big bore this ski can hit 80MPH. Rode one that did it.. on an X4 thats insane!

Joe

Just find your self a donnor ski for the swap and dont worrie about the extra weight it wont be enough to worrie about. I wont be doin it for awhile but im plannin a swap, Im going to put a 215hp 4-tec motor into a yamaha GPR hull. with a stoch 4-tec SC in a grp hull will run close to 90mph

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back