787 rebuilt crank in South Florida recomendation

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdessewffy

I need a rebuilt crank, one of my inner bearings is bad and although I got the outer and gear off, I'm not qualified to mess with the rest of it further in. I live in Port Saint Lucie Florida and am going to Miami tomorrow. I was hoping someone knew where I could walk into a store and buy one in the area. I will probably buy from SBT if not, but want to save the shipping and they are too far from me. Thanks in advance.

I need a rebuilt crank, one of my inner bearings is bad and although I got the outer and gear off, I'm not qualified to mess with the rest of it further in. I live in Port Saint Lucie Florida and am going to Miami tomorrow. I was hoping someone knew where I could walk into a store and buy one in the area. I will probably buy from SBT if not, but want to save the shipping and they are too far from me. Thanks in advance.

SBT is in FL, shipping isn't bad and it includes core return, I've bought two 787 cranks from them since 2018. The last time was in Spring 2019, I live in AL and I want to say shipping was $40, but they go over all that on the phone first before they process the order.

SBT is in FL, shipping isn't bad and it includes core return, I've bought two 787 cranks from them since 2018. The last time was in Spring 2019, I live in AL and I want to say shipping was $40, but they go over all that on the phone first before they process the order.
I called them and it's $130 shipping back and forth with core. There lies my problem, still looking for options..... Clearwater is a few hours from me. Miami is 2 hours and going there any way. Fort Lauderdale 1.5 hours.... thank you for your response, I wish I could get $40 shipping, would be no brainer lol

It seems more an more that SBT is supplementing their "low" prices with inflated shipping.

I would contact PWC Muscle here on the forum as they sell WSM cranks which seem to have as good as a reputation as SBT and are very reasonable on their prices and shipping. @hfgreg

I called them and it's $130 shipping back and forth with core. There lies my problem, still looking for options..... Clearwater is a few hours from me. Miami is 2 hours and going there any way. Fort Lauderdale 1.5 hours.... thank you for your response, I wish I could get $40 shipping, would be no brainer lol

I just looked it up, for my 787 reman crank back in Apr 2019 was $60 shipping to/from AL, makes no sense with you in their backyard to be paying $130.

I'd check ebay, sometimes SBT will list on there and have a fixed shipping charge.

That doesn't make sense. Cranks are 70 shipped here to Kansas City. Think there was some sort of breakdown in communication there..

That doesn't make sense. Cranks are 70 shipped here to Kansas City. Think there was some sort of breakdown in communication there..
The price was 295, then add shipping. Was price for yours higher and evened it out?
Thanks everyone. Since a few questioned the high shipping, I called them again today to verify. It's only 20 each way!! The person I talked to today told me the 130 quoted me was for a whole engine, not just the crank. Thanks all! Problem solved.

The price was 295, then add shipping. Was price for yours higher and evened it out?
Thanks everyone. Since a few questioned the high shipping, I called them again today to verify. It's only 20 each way!! The person I talked to today told me the 130 quoted me was for a whole engine, not just the crank. Thanks all! Problem solved.
I meant it's 70 bucks for shipping to kc, sorry for any confusion

I've seen a few SBT cranks with snapped rods in completely stock rebuilds and less than 10 hours, I'm sure they make stuff that works for most people but be careful, just because the crank has a warranty doesn't mean they get you a new crankcase and cylinder if it punches a hole through it.

i used WSM on my 951 rebuild a few years ago, 38 hours later and still solid, fingers crossed.

I've seen a few SBT cranks with snapped rods in completely stock rebuilds and less than 10 hours, I'm sure they make stuff that works for most people but be careful, just because the crank has a warranty doesn't mean they get you a new crankcase and cylinder if it punches a hole through it.

i used WSM on my 951 rebuild a few years ago, 38 hours later and still solid, fingers crossed.
There is no doubt that the SBT quality is questionable but today you really only have 4 options. SBT and Hot Rods are at the bottom, WSM is one step up and at the top is a place like Competitive Crankshafts. Unfortunately the best deal was the OEM but they are no longer available.

I don't understand why some of you are so negative about SBT crankshafts. The crankshafts they reman are OEM cores that are broke down and built back up with new bearings and seals. They are trued and the pins are welded to lock it in. What does that mean? just as good as OEM, and being welded you won't get crank twist. I personally prefer the welded pins for this very reason, it's not going to shift later and wack the timing between the mag and pto cylinders.

Some people say the bearings SBT uses are crappy but the reality today is that all bearings come from overseas anyway. They're not as bad as people point out, the USA, Canada, and Europe are all pretty much out of the bearing manufacturing business at this point, Now...90% of bearings now come out of Asia, mostly China, Taiwan, Vietnam and Japan. Good or bad bearings is a crap shoot, some even on OEM can go out unexpectedly. SBT remans thousands of crankshafts a year, I'm sure their bearing supplier is decent enough to minimize return issues.

I've bought two carbed 787 cranks when building my skis, no issues as I get into season 2 and 3 on them. I just think it's overstated to say that SBT cranks are at the bottom of quality options. In the past maybe they got a bad reputation, but I don't think that's the case today.

The fact is that SBT doesn’t use the highest quality bearings and has pretty well documented failures. That’s why SBT is at the bottom. You can get bearings from China that are high quality or low quality it all depends on who specifies them and quality control and there’s no doubt there are different qualities of bearings.

As far as welding the cranks there’s no reason for that on a seadoo as they don’t twist like the ild Kawasaki’s so not a benefit at all for us.

So yes it’s well proven the SBT cranks are not at the top.

Are they fine for a stock rebuild? Absolutely.
Are they bad and going to fail? Probably not.
Are there better and more expensive options? Yes.
Are they at the bottom of quality? Yes, someone has to be at the bottom.

Just like McDonalds sells the most burgers in the world but that doesn’t mean they make the best burger.

SBT was really bad at the beginning with constant failures but they got past that and are more reliable now.

The only other thing with them on seadoo cranks is their seals are not the same quality as OEM so they might have a shorter overall life before leaking.

As far as welding the cranks there’s no reason for that on a seadoo as they don’t twist like the ild Kawasaki’s so not a benefit at all for us.

I disagree, it is a benefit, I've seen people report crank twist problems on the FB forum. I wouldn't trust a reman that wasn't welded not to twist.

Define 'better', you just stated prior they're 'absolutely' fine for a stock build and 'probably not' going to fail?
Isn't that what 95% of us are doing? riding recreational?

SBT was really bad at the beginning with constant failures but they got past that and are more reliable now.

Ok...so why avoid them?

The only other thing with them on seadoo cranks is their seals are not the same quality as OEM so they might have a shorter overall life before leaking.

You said 'might'...you don't know or have any data on it. I'm sure the seals are made with viton rubber otherwise they wouldn't survive a couple seasons. I know you're a big purest with OEM, but you shouldn't assume manufacturing quality and materials from over 20 years ago can't be sourced as equal or better today.

I disagree, it is a benefit, I've seen people report crank twist problems on the FB forum. I wouldn't trust a reman that wasn't welded not to twist.

Every OEM crank isn’t welded and how many have you seen twist? It isn’t an issue.

Define 'better', you just stated prior they're 'absolutely' fine for a stock build and 'probably not' going to fail?
Isn't that what 95% of us are doing? riding recreational?

Look at the posts above, I am recommending them for stock rebuilds.

Ok...so why avoid them?

You said 'might'...you don't know or have any data on it. I'm sure the seals are made with viton rubber otherwise they wouldn't survive a couple seasons. I know you're a big purest with OEM, but you shouldn't assume manufacturing quality and materials from over 20 years ago can't be sourced as equal or better today.

“I disagree, it is a benefit, I've seen people report crank twist problems on the FB forum. I wouldn't trust a reman that wasn't welded not to twist. “

Every OEM crank isn’t welded and how many have you seen twist? It isn’t an issue. Unless you are running high rpm with an aftermarket pipe and light flywheels in rough water you aren’t going to twist a non-welded crank. It just doesn’t happen.

Yes the SBT seals are a harder lower quality material than OEM. Buy both and hold them in your hand and you will see the difference I have.
Even WSM used to sell 3 different quality levels of seals and cost. Rubber, Viton and OEM. Just like bearings there are different quality levels of seals.

I have also seen 5 SBT cranks fail personally. One Kawasaki, one Yamaha 701 and three Seadoo 787’s.

Go back and read what I said. I have recommended using them and have a SBT Yamaha 701 crank going into my personal superjet. I’m not saying they are junk and don’t use them, I’m just saying there are better cranks but you are going to pay more and the increased cost is bearings and seals.

Last edited:
“I disagree, it is a benefit, I've seen people report crank twist problems on the FB forum. I wouldn't trust a reman that wasn't welded not to twist. “

Every OEM crank isn’t welded and how many have you seen twist? It isn’t an issue.

Yes the SBT seals are a harder lower quality material than OEM. Buy both and hold them in your hand and you will see the difference I have.

I have also seen 5 SBT cranks fail personally. One Kawasaki, one Yamaha 701 and three Seadoo 787’s.

Go back and read what I said. I have recommended using them and have a Yamaha 701 crank going into my personal superjet. I’m not saying they are junk and don’t use them, I’m just saying there are better cranks.

If an SBT reman crankshaft lasts just as long as a 'better' crankshaft and doesn't leak, then 'better' is a moot point you're trying to make.

If an SBT reman crankshaft lasts just as long as a 'better' crankshaft and doesn't leak, then 'better' is a moot point you're trying to make.

Show me one that lasts as long...

I have multiple seadoo’s in my group running OEM cranks that are over 20 years old without a single problem and 5 SBT’s that have failed. That’s my first hand experience.

You have 2 with one 3 years old which isn’t a very good sample size.

I see nowhere where anyone claims SBT lasts as long as OEM.

Also look at anyone racing high rpm skis and you will find they don’t run SBT, WSM or Hot Rods.

So if you want to argue “better “ yes you can get cranks with higher quality parts. Do you need that? It’s up to the individual.

I’m just giving my experience from working on and loving these skis for over 25 years so take that for what it’s worth. I’m done arguing cranks.

Last edited:
So you are sending yours in? How much are they charging just curiously.

I use WSM. Within a week I got the crank in hand and I toss the old one. :) Then again.. I worked out a deal with a vendor on cost or I'd probably go your route. Good luck and enjoy the journey !! :D

I use WSM. Within a week I got the crank in hand and I toss the old one. :) Then again.. I worked out a deal with a vendor on cost or I'd probably go your route. Good luck and enjoy the journey !! :D

You worked out a deal with a vendor for prices on cranks, or you have SES build all of your engines? Which way are you going this week?

So you are sending yours in? How much are they charging just curiously.
I contacted Sea Doo Watehouse/ Broward Motorsports first and they dont have cranks. I believe it was you who message me back and said "not at this time" . Was that you?

Are they fine for a stock rebuild? Absolutely.
Are they bad and going to fail? Probably not.
Are they at the bottom of quality? Yes, someone has to be at the bottom.

I would interject to say WSM new is great, but from what I've seen an SBT is a better quality than a WSM rebuilt. I've had 4 of those that were all .004" or more out of tolerance. The most I've ever had an SBT out was .0002", and I've used probably.. 100? 150? over the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back