787 140mm jet pump cone leaks oil - how to seal it?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lithium2g

This has been an ongoing issue for me for sometime and I've previously brought it up here and here. Summer is coming here in the southern hemisphere and im keen to get this right.

Since my previous posts I've determined jet pump oil is leaking from between the cone and the housing (see pictures). This is a 2nd hand pump from a wrecker and a new cone purchased from a parts store from USA.

Im not sure how to best to seal the leak, I've got some gasket maker and marine silicon but obviously I'd hate it for that to get into the bearings. More importantly why is it leaking? the 3 bolts go in fine. is not sitting flush? I am following youtube guides and consulting the manual...

I may be answering my own question here but the surface has some corrosion damage (see picture) from a previous owner. It does look deceptively bad but the surface feels pretty flush. I've already cleaned it thoroughly... but if this is causing the cone to not sit properly and subsequently resulting in oil leaking/water intrusion, what can do i do clean it further without damaging it?

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Should I just seal it with something?
Appreciate the advice as always!

grime on head pic2.jpgoil seeps out pic1.jpg

Last edited:
so just updating because i can... the problem was largely to do with the impeller washer getting stuck in the groove of the impeller shaft off center before the cone could go back on to compress it all together with the spring/anti rattle... this problem is cautioned in the manual :<

that mechanism must put enough force to stop it from moving and as such you get some axial play...which provides appropriate force for the cone to go back on properly int he first place.

anyhow i put some permatex gasketmaker on the edge of the cone just in case. no leaks since. but then
had oil leaking from the grub screw. bought some Permatex® High Performance Thread Sealant to put on the grub screw threads. its worked a bloody treat. and now no leaks since. i also put some sika flex marine grade silicon over the grub screw cavity to add additional layer of sealant as previously done by seadoo mechanics who serviced it last.

pro tip dont rely too much on youtube videos, read the manual instead.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 22
  • axialplay.jpg
    axialplay.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back