720, starter won’t go back onto block?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I put it in the freezer overnight to see if it helps. Was told to grind some of the opening out and see if that helps. Pulled engine for a rebuild and for some reason I cannot get the starter to seat into the cavity. It seems as if it’s a couple thousandths too large or something?
Anyone ever had an issue like this?

Thank you

donnie

It is a tight fit, if it doesn't go exactly straight in it will often hang. Make sure the bore in the cavity is clean and the boss on the starter is clean. If you're certain that you have the correct starter, what I've done in the past is use the bolts to pull it in. Tighten one a little, then the other, then back to the first one, repeat until it's in. At some point what often happens is that pulling it in like this will cause it to pull straight and then you'll be able to push it all the way in by hand at that point. Don't force the bolts too tight or you'll strip the soft aluminum threads. Just a little tension on each bolt at a time should do it.

Corrosion / that white dust that builds up on aluminum when exposed to salt water can make it very, very tight. Wire brush may help get any off that is causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back