717cc timing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hal5778

Hello I have a 717cc motor that I have been slowly working on and my question is how do I determine the year and model this motor was originally in? I am unsure as to whether the flywheel cover is the original so not sure if the model # listed would work. I am currently replacing the timing disc (do not have the original) and unsure as to what degree disc needed. I have used the degree gauge wheel and the mark on the engine block is at 130 degrees but I have read on this forum where this should not be assumed to be assumed in determining the proper timing disc? Any info that can be given would be appreciated I dont want to have to remove and replace a second time because of the wrong disc was installed.

Everything can be discovered by the serial number on the back of the ski. Beyond that we need to know the year and model the ski is.

Hi Nick and thank you for your reply unfortunately I do not know what year or model the motor came out of I got the motor only as a winter project

You use the model and year of the ski to determine the rotary valve. The base engine is the same but the rotary valve is determined by your mpem, intake ( single or dual carbs) and exhaust.

The motor is a single carb (white motor) I dont have a mpem for this motor. Would this motor run with whatever rotary valve I use (130,147 or 159) and at such time it is used as a replacement motor just check the motor replacing to assure it has the same rotary valve and if not just swap them out before installation? What I am asking is if I was to put a 130 degree rotary valve in the new motor and the motor being replaced has a 130 degree rotary valve would all be good and if the old motor had lets say a 147 degree if I was to install a 147 in the replacement motor would that work?

Last edited:
Thank You I think what I will do is finish assembly with the 130 degree rotary valve I have and when the time comes to use the motor as a replacement motor I will check rotary valve in bad motor and if needed swap it out into replacement motor. I actually have no reason to run new motor until that time it has good compression with new stator and flywheel so I assume all is good. Once again Thanks all the info has helped alot with my concerns. Happy Holidays to ALL!!!!

I think you are wasting time with a 130 deg R V . At least put a 147 in or the 159 as they have a much better chance of matching up to orig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back