657X Sat with carbs off and got water in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC87SS

Looking at a complete 94GTX with trailer for $350. Owner took the carbs off to clean them and never put them back on. Engine turns over freely but blew all kinds of stuff out of the intake.
Whats my best case and wost case scenario? Is a rebuild required or just some cleaning and lubrication. Sad thing is the motor was rebuilt then it sat until the carbs gummed up, then removed and left that way. I mainly wanted this ski to use for parts and the engine for my 95.
I need to make a decision tomorrow so all thoughts and suggestions welcomed.
Thanks.

The trailer is worth nearly that so it's probably a good buy. If the water was in there for any length of time it could have rusted the bearings. In that case it would not run long before locking up. If it's a second ski try it, just don't run it alone. If it sounds good after a couple tanks of gas then your probably good.

So the intake would allow water into the lower crankcase?
I have rebuilt car engines but never had one of these engines apart, is it relatively easy to change the bearings?

No. You basically have to rebuild the crank to change the bearings.
255.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Good lawwd.. Listen, if you're gonna buy it anyway, you've got nothing to lose.. You said motor spins freely.. FIRST thing I would do is get some FOGGY JUICE and lube the HELL out that motor, (probably wanna do it thru plug holes and intake holes, multiple times) let it soak and displace, then crank for 5 second intervals with plugs OUT,, I'd put dirty towels on the upper and side of the inner hull and outside bc it'll probably be Niagara Falls of oily gew until you get it all out..
Do it in 5 second intervals so you don't burn the starter out, and if your battery dies, DO NOT JUMP THE SKI WITH ANOTHER CAR, jumper box, etc.. Or leave the rapid charger charging while the battery terminals are hooked up.. Either take the battery out or disconnect terminals while charging Inside ski, probably not recommended though...
I am interested in seeing if you get this thing up and going.. Like Matt said, trailer alone is worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think i am going to pass on it for now. Neither the ski or the trailer has a title or registration. I mainly wanted it for the engine to put in my 95, would hate to go thru all that work and have it seize up due to the water sitting in it, as for the rest of the good parts i already have an extra 95 GTX for parts.
The trailer would just be used for moving skis in the garage to work on, wax, clean, etc. I already have a double trailer and a single trailer that are legal. The deal is located 2 hours away and he won't budge on the price. If he still has it next weekend i may reconsider. Its in Panama City Florida if anyone is interested.

There is no money to be made on pre-95 skis but they still are fun to ride. I just saved a 94XP that sat forever. It's engine seems OK so I would sell you the slightly used SBT 657X I have for $300 if you want.

He did PM me on it. I'll get some pics today. $300 was to him because he is only a couple hours up the road from me so no shipping or Paypal fees. If he decides to go another way I'll post it in the Classified section.

He did PM me on it. I'll get some pics today. $300 was to him because he is only a couple hours up the road from me so no shipping or Paypal fees. If he decides to go another way I'll post it in the Classified section.

I definitely want it. Planing a trip in the next 2 weeks to get it.
Thanks Matt.

No title / registration is an issue. Not so much with the trailer as they can be obtained easily. But the ski,,, that could be an issue from a legal perspective.

When you say that "crap" came out when turned over. If it was ONLY water, then you would likely have pretty serious concerns. But,,, if the crank seal was weak and allowed oil into the crank case and both water and oil came out, that could be a different story..

Got rained out at work today so i broke it out and got some pics. I have not touched up the outside obviously. It was in a 95 Speedster that looks like it went for one test ride and got some moisture in the mag cover. The engine is still new inside, looks like it never even got broken in.

OMG i can't believe your trying to sell me a used motor with chipped paint. LOL
Looks great, let me see if it will be this weekend or next weekend. I can always PAYPAL the money if you need it before i can get to you. We have been wanting to takes the skis to Destin area anyway, makes for a good reason to come sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back