4tech valve clearance issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayner

I'm a newb and have read alot off posts trying to learn as much as possible of you fellas and I came across a thread saying the 2004 4tech had valve issues,now is this common on 04 only???
I sure don't want to have to rip off the head every so often to make sure I'm ok. I bought the 4 tech because I thought it was going to be reliable. If there's any other problems with this model I'd sure like to know.
thanks for everyone who have answered my other posts, your a great help.

OK... I'm going to throw out my 2 cents...

The new generation of 4-stroke engines are not very reliable, but they are user friendly, and "ENVIRONMENTALLY" friendly. (this is not just a SeaDoo thing) The problem is... if you are moving valves at 8000 RPM all the time... they are going to eat them selves. At full throttle, those valves are opening, and slamming shut 66 times a second. With that kind of abuse, they wear the hard coating off the valve faces, and eventually pull up into the head, and that will cause hard starts, or worse... the valve head breaks off, and drops into the engine. (destroying it) When this happens, it is VERY expensive to fix.

The old 2-strokes... if fed good fuel, and oil can last a very long time. I just bought a 1990 Si with the factory engine (never rebuilt) and it's still showing 140 PSI in both jugs. Also, the old Skis are half the weight of the new 4-stroke skis.

Anyway... there is no going back since the EPA won't let us burn oil anymore. The best thing to do is to check your valve clearance after every 20 or 30 hours to catch an issue before it gets to the point of a complete engine replacement.

Oh... and for your question... there were some improvements after '04, but your boat/ski is really no less reliable than a newer ski... but remember... it's 6 years old. If it has 300 to 400 hours on it... you may want to think about a head rebuild.

I don't mean to put a negative on your purchase... but I'm just saying what I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figure I'll mostly have the kids out so 8000 rpm at long lenths will not be my riding style all the time....lol.... Who am I kidding.
the gtx has 140 hours on it, I checked the history from the marina buddy had it serviced at and in the last 2 yrs he only put 16 hours on it.
again the help from all is awsome, I've learned more here than expected.

Safe riding!!!!!

If you aren't beating on it... you'll be fine. 140 Hours... it still has plenty of life left in it.

Go have fun, don't dwell on the negative, and do your normal maintainance... and everything will be good. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back