4tec drive shaft axial movement.. How much??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

68ragtop

Assembling the propulsion end of my 2002 GTX project.

I slid the driveshaft into position & was surprised how much Axial movement there is on the shaft. easily 1/2- 3/4" Is the carbon seal & bellows pressure the only thing that keeps the drive shaft forward into the PTO? I wanted to leave the c clip removed from the floating ring seal so I can run it on the hose for a longer time without heating it up, however with that clip removed, the shaft has what I would consider (from my 2-stroke ski experience) a lot of movement. The only thing that keeps it close is the oil sealing bearing in the PTO bellows. I am not too comfortable starting it this way & not sure why this much movement it there. Am I somehow missing something?

New rubber driveshaft bumper is installed on the PTO end of the shaft.

EDIT: My title of this post should say axial movement, Not radial. Sorry to confuse..... ;)

68RT

Last edited by a moderator:
Ragtop, since you are talking about the PTO seal, you must have the 4-tec. Do you mean you have too much longitudinal movement? It wouldn't work at all w/ that much radial movement. The carbon seal seals the driveshaft as the shaft splines are lubricated w/ engine oil. Do not start your engine with the driveshaft/jet pump removed. You are asking for a lot of trouble!

The "C" clip must be installed, and removing it will not give you a longer run time out of the water since the driveshaft will still pass though the driveline seal.

You will want to follow the instructions below:
http://www.sea-doo.net/SHOPMANUALS/PWC/2002/2002/smr_V2/V2_2002_sect.12a.pdf

Take note of the special tools required for driveshaft removal and installation as well as the warnings concerning proper removal/installation.

K

Yes, its a 4tec, I meant to say, Axial movement, Very bad goof on words & I will edit the initial post so I don't confuse anyone else. ;)

I have everything assembled per the manual & am only looking to start the ski with the C-clip removed to prevent the carbon seal from over heating. I have done this with my 2-strokes in the past. I was just surprised how far that shaft slides in & out without the carbon seal in place. I had the PTO cover off to replace the flywheel, so I noticed the opening at the PTO for oil to escape.

Last edited by a moderator:
So jumping ahead a little here, If long the axial movement is ok & normal, I am a little uneasy running the ski on the hose with the c-clip removed from the floating seal. It would appear the carbon seal bellows is the only thing that keeps the driveshaft all the way in the PTO.

The amount of back and forth motion of the driveshaft that you are feeling is normal. You are correct about the carbon seal/bellow.

They are the only things that hold the shaft forward into the PTO. I dont think I would run the engine without the "C" clip installed because the shaft is gonna want to walk out of the PTO.

It would be nice if you could but Ive never tried it and I'm afraid it may cause some kind of havoc. :cheers:

Thank for the info guys. Exactly what I was holing to hear.

I put the clip in, ran it on the hose & poured water over it while it ran.

Seems to have a lot of drive train rattle tho, similar to the older 2-stroke style pumps. Really didn't expect that from a pressed in thrust bearing. Every part is new in the pump...... Hhhmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back