3d thats been sitting for a couple years will crank but not start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slanter

So yea, the 3d has been sitting on a trailer for a few years and I decided to put a new battery in it, pump out the oil and the gas, and try to crank her up. I plug the key-plug in and it beeps twice, (the orange exclamation mark symbol comes on) but it'll just crank indefinitely without even sounding like it's trying to start. then it beeps four times.

I've cleaned the spark plugs and checked to make sure there is spark. I guess my question is, if fuel/oil has gunked up in fuel lines what would be the easiest thing to check first? Is it possible to clean injectors and get them running again? i'm not fond of the prospect of spending a few hundred bucks just for injectors.

It ran perfectly fine the last time a few years ago, so I'm running on the assumption that there is a fuel delivery problem.

Thanks for any input you can give.

If you pull the plugs are they wet with fuel? Do you hear the pump prime when you put the key?

Ooh, haven't tried to check to see if they're wet with fuel after cranking, good idea. I do hear it prime when I plug the key in.

If the plugs are dry, out a squirt of fuel into the cylinders. If it barks you have a direction to head at least.

Put a couple drops of gas in the cylinders and it caught, but didn't stay running. So yep, fuel delivery. Guess I'll check and make sure the little houses that feed the injectors are getting anything through them.

The fuel lines, (the two black little hoses at the base of the injectors I'm assuming) were bone dry. Guess it's down to trying to find hose blockages.

I'm an idiot apparently cause those aren't the fuel lines. But the actual fuel line doesn't spurt any gas if I crank it.

You at least know what is missing..

Take it back to the beginning.
Does the pump work?
If so, remove the line as close as you can, does fuel come out?
If so, keep moving forward..

It could also be the trigger for the injectors. Which I believe is the MPEM.
I do not know these engines well, if they are anything like an automotive engine, then things have to be in place before the trigger of the injectors. Various sensor for example. Like in a vehicle, the Cam Sensor provides input to the brain and this tell the brain to turn on the injectors..

I'm wondering if the fuel filter is clogged. I'm removing the fuel pump, hopefully it'll reveal something

Fuel pump is removed... the fiberglass filter at the bottom is super brittle, but I can't figure out how to get it off. I've cleared out all the lines from the sending unit to the fuel injectors. maybe a new sending unit is in order.

You'd think that cranking the starter with the spark plugs disconnected would make the pump send fuel through through the fuel hose but mine doesn't even send a trickle.

Test for voltage at the pump. Make sure it is getting a solid 12 or better volts. If so, then test the FP itself with the pump dropped in a coffee can for example.

You need to start somewhere so that you can get this solved. And, I believe the pump primes for a few seconds and turns off until you crank and it the engine is running. My point is, it may run in the PRIME mode but not the CRANK/RUN mode.

You can also test injectors for power with a simple test light (unless you have a noid light set). unplug wire at injector and find pos wire(theres only 2)connect testlight to ground and insert pointer of light into pos terminal and crank engine. Light should flash very rapidly.

All signs are pointing to the fuel sender unit as the problem, and I can't seem to get the cover off the bottom to clean the filter, so does anyone have any good sources for getting fuel pump for this? Used ones on Ebay are upwards of $200 and a brand new one is about $400, so i'm curious if there are any alternatives that the 3d fans have figured out.

I'm assuming that the "priming"noise I hear when the DESS is plugged in is the fuel pump trying to pressurizing the lines, and I hear the priming noise, but not even a trickle of fuel comes from the fuel pump so I'm assuming the "unserviceable" filters in this ski are clogged up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back