250 optimax or rotax twin 155

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

new guy

Hey guys,

I'm still shopping for a Utopia 205. Up til now I've been set on the 05 se with a 250 opti. But I'm wandering what kind of feedback is out there on the newer 4 stroke twin 155.

Is an 07 310hp a better choice. If so, Why?? If not, Why?

I've heard it's not as pwerful, and is harder on gas. What can you guys tell me?
As much info as possible would be appreciated.

Al

I have the Optimax in my Utopia (albeit the 200) and if I had the option I would rather have the twin 4-stroke.

Pros

It would be nice not having to buy 2-stroke oil at $55.00 a gallon. The 4tecs give you a bigger swim platform due to their lower height. Impellers and wear rings are dirt cheap. The Sea-Doo dealer can actually get you parts. From what I have read they accelerate much better due to the dual pumps. Closed loop cooling. Two engines in case one ever quits. Quieter. Better resale.

Cons

The 06 takes a huge jump in price over the 05. Unless you do your own work you have much higher maintenance costs (much more than double).

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Optimax and have never had a problem with it, but I would always take the newer version of anything. I also prefer 4-strokes over 2-strokes. Try talking to craigmri, as he has had both the Mercury and the twin 4tech set up.

Aaron:cheers:

I have the a single 155hp motor and its awesome, I was at first looking to but a 2004 speedster 160 with the merc v6 but im so glad i went with the 4-tec.

New Guy,

As Aaron said, the Merc boats are good performers. I got hooked on jet boating when I had my Challenger 2000 with the 240efi Merc.

My Twin Rotax is so far superior is so many ways.

1) low speed handling is awesome
2) quieter, no oil, no smoke
3) closed loop cooling for engine(Still uses raw water for exhaust manifold cooling)
4) Merc engines are expensive should you need major work.

with all this said, If your on a tight budget and you find an awesome deal on an awesome boat I would still consider a merc boat only after I had it thouroughly checked out by a certfied merc technician.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back