250 Optimax fuel filter change questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel D

I'm trying to change the fuel filters on my 2003 Utopia with the 250 Opti m2.

There is an in line filter just before the fuel pump and the water separator. I've got the parts just need a few answers to help make this go smoothly.

I see people just unscrewing these filters in their instructional videos and wondering why they always leave out the part about depressurizing the fuel system. Do you not have to do that if it's been sitting awhile? I'm assuming I'll need to relieve pressure from the Schrader valves on the fuel rails before I start this? Any tips on this would be appreciated.

And when I get it all put back together what do I do to get the air out of the fuel system? Bleed with the Schrader valves? What's the proper bleed procedure?

Help is greatly appreciated

The big "Spin on" filter is on the low pressure side of the system. There really isn't much pressure there, even when the engine is running. SO... there's no reason to need to relieve the pressure. Just spin it off.

Also... there is no reason to "Bleed" the system. if everything is in good working order... you will crank the engine to get it started... and it will fill. The vapor tank will purge the air for you.

The Mercury M2 manual says "drain the fuel system and disconnect the battery before performing any fuel system maintenance"

Always appreciate your right to the point kind of answers Dr Honda. Thanks again

The Mercury M2 manual says "drain the fuel system and disconnect the battery before performing any fuel system maintenance"

Hum...

OK... I guess I need to go look at that a little closer. But I'm guessing they are talking about the plug on the bottom of the vapor tank before playing with the high pressure side. (it's only a few oz of fuel)

I changed the fuel filter on my 250 Opti in June. Drain the vapor tank to get an excess water out of it, then just unplug the wire, unscrew the old filter, lube the seal and screw the new one on and plug the wire back in. May need to move the fuel pump to access it.

I then hooked it to water and started it on the trailer and it started right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back