twin 155, single 215 or 255 SC

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxyJoe

Hi folks,

Need expertise and opinion...

Have owned lots of Seadoo PWCs over the years and had bought a brand new 1998 Speedster "back in the day".

Looking at buying a runabout for our lake. Here is what I'm considering:

Challenger 180
Uptopia (twin 155)
05 and newer Speedster

What is the best engine option? Generally have 2-4 people on board, rarely do watersports, and looking for at least mid 40's mph.

Don't care that the SC motors have to be serviced every 100hrs (or whatever the recommendation is).

I really like the 05 and newer Speedsters...

Thoughts?

I own the 04 speedster with 155s. It's surprisingly good on fuel, but bounces. Even on relatively calm water. I think the challenger has a better hull. Utopia would probably be my choice if you like windshields and boat in cooler climes. Also, it's beautiful.

I own the 04 speedster with 155s. It's surprisingly good on fuel, but bounces. Even on relatively calm water. I think the challenger has a better hull. Utopia would probably be my choice if you like windshields and boat in cooler climes. Also, it's beautiful.
I remember going to the dealership and seeing them for the first time in person, very good looking craft.

I remember going to the dealership and seeing them for the first time in person, very good looking craft.
Indeed they are. Fun to throw around too, even in the ocean on big waves. But it's a rough ride on the seas. Really a sheltered water boat. I've been having issues with sensors on mine lately. They're getting old and having a code reader is a must. They're not cheap those things :(

Utopia would be ideal. With dual engines, you get better thrust at low end speeds and acts like you'd expect a jet boat to behave, especially as you add on more weight. Used to have a single engine jet boat and it did not handle weight well and bogged down the engine badly. When I did pull a tube, the tube was more often then none pulling the boat when turning. Upgrading to a twin engine, I can handle far more weight without bogging the engine down.

I went through this same dilemma a few years ago. I decided on the Challenger because it looks and behaves more like a boat and less of a water toy. Plus, with 2-4 people that boat will run very close to 50mph or better depending on the conditions. I've had mine up to 58mph a couple of times on calm days with myself and two daughters. Had 8 people on that boat once and still managed 45-47mph. Again, it will depend on conditions.

I don't know your budget, but if you can get your hands on a 2010-2012 Challenger with low hours you'll be getting a very nice boat. The 4-tec Rotax is a very nice engine. Don't rule out a Scarab if you see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back