240 EFI M2 Starts and shuts down after 2-3 sec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

reddog

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a 2002 SeaDoo Utopia with the 240 HP 2 Stroke motor. I have been chipping away at it to get it to run. Initially found a bad neutral switch. Then a bad starter switch. Fuel pump was bad. It was blowing the ignition coil 20 amp fuse. Now I can get it to start really easy but it shuts off and beeps.

Video of what the motor is doing. 20230218_161835.mp4 Attempted start

Any suggestions regarding what I should go after next will be greatly appreciated.

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a 2002 SeaDoo Utopia with the 240 HP 2 Stroke motor. I have been chipping away at it to get it to run. Initially found a bad neutral switch. Then a bad starter switch. Fuel pump was bad. It was blowing the ignition coil 20 amp fuse. Now I can get it to start really easy but it shuts off and beeps.

Video of what the motor is doing. 20230218_161835.mp4 Attempted start

Any suggestions regarding what I should go after next will be greatly appreciated.

On the side, near the bottom of your VST, there should be a bleed screw. Place a catch can under it. Loosen the screw about 2 turns. Turn key to run. Gas should stream out. If not- you may have a stuck inlet needle in the VST. It will not let gas into the VST and the pump in the VST has only enough gas for a couple of seconds.

If gas DOES stream from bleed screw- check fuel rail pressure with key on, then with engine running. Should be 36psi.

On the side, near the bottom of your VST, there should be a bleed screw. Place a catch can under it. Loosen the screw about 2 turns. Turn key to run. Gas should stream out. If not- you may have a stuck inlet needle in the VST. It will not let gas into the VST and the pump in the VST has only enough gas for a couple of seconds.

If gas DOES stream from bleed screw- check fuel rail pressure with key on, then with engine running. Should be 36psi.
Hello Tim75,

So gas did stream out of the bleed screw. When I turn the system on the VST pressurizes to 35-36 PST. However once the engine starts it goes up to about 95psi then the engine shuts off. Is that making sense? Will the engine shutdown due to high fuel pressure?

Hello Tim75,

So gas did stream out of the bleed screw. When I turn the system on the VST pressurizes to 35-36 PST. However once the engine starts it goes up to about 95psi then the engine shuts off. Is that making sense? Will the engine shutdown due to high fuel pressure?
On my 240, the regulator has failed. Fuel pressure went to 85psi, but the engine ran ok, a little smoke, but thirsty. I added an aftermarket reg for 36psi.
Merc reg was about $250.
Aftermarket reg was $45.

Your engine could be flooded by such high pressure.

On my 240, the regulator has failed. Fuel pressure went to 85psi, but the engine ran ok, a little smoke, but thirsty. I added an aftermarket reg for 36psi.
Merc reg was about $250.
Aftermarket reg was $45.

Your engine could be flooded by such high pressure.
Tim75,

I will get a new pressure regulator. However, I purchased a VesselView mobile. It starts shows an RPM of about 2000. Shuts down and shows Air injector circuit 1 and Air injector circuit 2. The output signal from the ECU to device is open circuit or has too much resistance. Error.

I guessed that this may mean fuel injector 1 and 2. So I checked the resistance of all 6 and they all read fine. Any suggestions on what it means by air injector circuit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226_141210.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_141210.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230226_141150.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_141150.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 8
On my 240 (gen1), I had fuel pressure rising after starting... upwards 50-60psi when I measured it. In my case it was a clogged inlet screen on the fuel pressure regulator. Gunk on the screen was restricting fuel return flow. I removed the FPR and pull the inlet screen out and cleaned it. Perfect fuel pressure after that. Not sure about your 240 (gen2)... if it has the same FPR on the VST.

Cheers!

Tim75,

I will get a new pressure regulator. However, I purchased a VesselView mobile. It starts shows an RPM of about 2000. Shuts down and shows Air injector circuit 1 and Air injector circuit 2. The output signal from the ECU to device is open circuit or has too much resistance. Error.

I guessed that this may mean fuel injector 1 and 2. So I checked the resistance of all 6 and they all read fine. Any suggestions on what it means by air injector circuit?
Vesselview has sensor inputs that the engine does not have. This can cause many faults.

It appears to be something with my PCM/ECM...so I have sent it off for testing. Keep everyone posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back