210 Challenger Intake Grate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cghughes

Having trouble with my 2010 Sea-doo 210 Challenger sucking in debris (random small sticks mostly) through the intake grate despite boating on a clean and deep lake. Any suggestions for replacing the standard intake grate with something a little more protective like in the older jet boats or PWCs? Anything else to do to decrease the amount of debris intake? Thanks!

Fatal Flaw

You are experiencing the fatal flaw in all Sea Doo boats. Yamaha boats have removable plugs just above the impellers so you can remove sticks, ropes etc.

There is no possible alteration or substitute intake grate. On the Speedsters you cant even remove it without going inside the engine compartment under the engine.

So heres what you can do, to prepare:
- Buy some very long needle nose pliers and picks. Also a good flashlight
- Be prepared to be 'adrift' - keep in mind, if your boat is helpless and about to hit rocks, any tow company can 'salvage' it which means you lose the boat. Not covered by insurance.
- You can sometimes clear debris by backing up then cut the throttle and shift to F
- Sometimes just backing works, the jet flow doesn't change but the back flow water helps.

intake frustration

It really is a shame that there is no way to prevent it.. We've had several outings with no problem, but of course, the one time we take a neighborhood kid out with us, we sucked up a stick about the size of my thumb. Luckily, we were near a marina that could put us up on a forklift & we plucked the sucker out. I couldn't believe that we were incapacitated by something so small. Glad we have 2 engines in the event that one sucks something up... At least we can limp home. GRRRR....

Good luck!! I have sucked up a rope, a stick and a kids rubber shoe. And like the last guy said, it is always when you take a friend along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back