2018 GTX 155 - is this worn carbon ring/seal?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsxseadoo

bought a used 2018 GTX 155 with 75 hours and paint is flaking off on the engine valve cover and back of the engine where the drive shaft attaches to. Called one of the repair shops and he mentioned it is because the carbon seal is bad and it is spraying water onto the engine. It will cost around $500 - $600 to have it replaced. There is also black line that accumulating around the hull in the same position as the seal which he says is sign of a bad seal.

I haven't noticed any cavitation or unusual amount of water in the bilge. Is there any way to visually tell if there is a problem with the seal? as far as i can tell, the ring seems to be intact.

ring1.pngring2.pngring3.pngpaint1.pngpaint2.png

Last edited:
Truly, you can do this yourself for just the cost of parts,,,the carbon ring!,,,(not sure how much they cost, but should be less than $100.),,,You can email me, I am happy to help you through it.

He may be correct, however that rubber half boot is supposed to cover the ring to prevent spray all over the compartment. Pull the rubber boot back and take another photo , there is what is called a tell tale groove on the shaft and I believe the stainless steel "hat" is not seated on the shaft all the way causing a leak.

popps, thanks for the offer but from the videos i've seen its not something i would be comfortable doing. i'm all about diy but there seems to be lot more involved and shop quoted 4hr labor. another shop quoted 2-3hr labor.

digdog, from the research i've been doing it seems to be the way it is. there is a newer revision post 2018 where boot covers the entire cabon seal maybe thats what you are referring to.

here's pics from another forum:

What is Carbon Seal Normal Wear?
Carbon Seal Part Revision July 26th 2020 - Pictures

this is from mine with boot pushed back.

?hash=7c512b9c4d2738840fb93aee20c69f26.png

as i've said, been doing tons of research here as well as other forums and seems like these seals are a weak point on the seadoo. i've seen someone even take a video while running on the water to show the leaking. i may have to resort to that to see for sure. someone suggested backing it into the boat ramp and run it on idle while on the trailer to see if there are any leaks.

Attachments

• boot.png
    boot.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
It doesn't look worn from the outside , usually it's scarring on both faces that causes the leak , or the O -rings inside the stainless hat part of the seal are leaking because it's not seated properly. Either way it's going to need to be removed to fix it. Check the bellows for cracks while it's out.

Last edited:
well thats a good thing that the carbon seal itself doesn't appear to be the issue. big question is whether there is anything to fix...leak has yet to be confirmed since this is all going by the paint peeling and black streaks in the hull...i guess the peeling could be due to salt water dripping from the seats too. will take it out later this week for a visual and report back.

IMO, that's more carbon streaking than usual. The paint peeling is probably from the engine not being properly protected with corrosion preventive sprays. I have 230 salt hours on my ski and there is little to no flaking paint. I spray my engine bay with freshwater after every ride and once dry, spray it with LANOX.

Here's a pic from a former ski I had with 350 salt hours:

2011 GTI engine bay.jpg

yeah that looks like a well taken care of machine. i've seen pics of skis with 10hrs with streaks but not as much.

so i took it to the ramp and tested on the trailer and its flinging micro droplets right between the hat and seal. you can actually see the streak of water pointed out by arrow pointing down. so if the carbon seal looks ok why is it flinging droplets all over the place? would this warrant a replacement or is there any adjustments that can be made?

i'm thinking just have the new revised carbon seal put in and be done with it. hopefully that will be more robust.

leak2.png

line of water right over the black streaks

leak.jpg

called another reputable local repair shop and he said replacement is the only way. was quoted $350 to replace the carbon seal (new revised seal). will also have them check the wear ring while at it. will be taking it in on monday.

There are rumors the Mexico assembly plant was not getting the pump and engine aligned properly causing carbon seal issues. Hopefully the new carbon seal design makes up for the assembly issues.

good point...i understand that the engine can be realigned although not sure how involved that is...will ask them about it when i take it in on monday.

new carbon seal installed along with new bellows. the carbon seal boot is MUCH stiffer than the old design and i am unable to even move it back by hand where as old one i could.

engine alignment was also adjusted few mm vertically.

new carbon.png

Old one for comparison

old.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back