2014 gtx 215 runs rough, vibrates, sluggish take off and no top end...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on what I have done so far.
Removed the pump and replaced the wear ring, ( what a pain in the @ss taking that IBR gate off on on)
Pulled the shaft, changed the shaft seal and boot, changed the carbon seal that didn't look too hot, installed my new rebuilt supercharger, cleaned all the hoses, tightened up all the clamps, replaced the throttle body, replaced the TPS lever in the handlebars. Replaced the fuel filter, filled up with fresh fuel, cleaned the injectors. So then I started it and it was backfiring. I went out and bought new plugs AGAIN FOR THE 4TH TIME!!! Finally I was able to get the rpms higher ( 7k-8k) in sport mode and sounded good on the trailer. Once in the water it seemed a bit better with less vibration but still wot with no impressive results, reaches 40 mph at most and rpms weren't as high as on the trailer. I can feel the difference in the throttle response from eco to sport but not like it used to be. So when I got back to my jetski dock I lifted the seat and noticed alot of oil, not milky so I'm assuming it's from the seal. Maybe I didn't tighten it or just off a bit. My shaft is a bit rusted and I cleaned it up as much as I could so I can bet it could be the shaft. My most concern is the lack of boost. My last resort is the fuel pump which I have but I wanted rule that out with all the other components changed. Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be? Could the escape of oil drop the boost? I know the oil pressure can affect it but from where it's leaking I see it's gravity and no pressure. I'm lost here once I change the fuel pump.. I also reprogrammed the key to rule that out.. I'm open for any suggestion before I take it to the dealer and get abused.

Start with the basics. Test compression and do a leak down test.

An oil leak won't make it run poorly. At most it will throw a code.

You are sure your intercooler isn't leaking.

You are sure your intercooler isn't

I didn't check the intercooler. This model has the internal one. Wouldn't I see a milky oil in the dip stick? Even the oil in the hull is clear. No milky signs. Ski only has 89 hours and was never abused, I got it from a friend that barelyuse it. The only mods and repairs were when it was new there was a broken motor mount ( guessing it was from assembling or just a bad mount from the begining) a wear ring change and I had a catch can added. The rest is all stock.

I didn't check the intercooler. This model has the internal one. Wouldn't I see a milky oil in the dip stick? Even the oil in the hull is clear. No milky signs. Ski only has 89 hours and was never abused, I got it from a friend that barelyuse it. The only mods and repairs were when it was new there was a broken motor mount ( guessing it was from assembling or just a bad mount from the begining) a wear ring change and I had a catch can added. The rest is all stock.

I'm going to do a compression test the next time I get a chance.. I've never done a leakdown test. Is there a step by step procedure and tools needed somewhere to review or should I do a YouTube search on how to? Some of these you tubers cut corners and don't explain it all.

Check your fuel pressure and eliminate that from your equation...you can pull the fuel rail,,,disconnect the coil packs of course,,of course,,,put a towel on the cylinder head,,,and try to start it,you ,,should see a nice connical pattern.

At the fuel pump, just remove the out line,,,and check your fuel pressure, you can look up the spec,,,I also like to put a clear fuel line that empties into clean white bucket,outside the ski of course,,,,I run the start button,,,pour fuel into the bucket/pail,,,to see if I have water in the tank,,,kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

That's a good idea, and I emptied the tanks when I changed the filter and added fresh high octane. There shouldn't be any water in it.

So this morning I went ahead and removed the intercooler core. It was damp and felt like an oily coating but, no fluid in the manifold. I tested it and no leak. I put it under pressure and submerged it in a 5gallon bucket and also sprayed it with soapy water. No indication of leaks.. I don't think it's bad. Could that condensation be the culprit?

Did you check fuel pressure, or change fuel pump yet ,I'm having same issues and I'm at same spot about to check/change fuel pump just wanted to see if that was the problem

Did you check fuel pressure, or change fuel pump yet ,I'm having same issues and I'm at same spot about to check/change fuel pump just wanted to see if that was the problem
Hey Trok,
what is your ski doing? Is it running rough and not getting up to higher rpms ? Is it the same issue I'm having with no fault codes?
And no I haven't tested any of the fuel pressure or changed the pump yet but, I did change the filter. I also had an oil leak from the pto shaft bearing bellow that I'm waiting for. Once I install the bellow, carbon seal back on for the second time. I can then reinstall the super charger. and but oil back in the ski. I spent over 10 hrs today scratching my head as I'm stripping the parts off. I even ordered a fizzle1000. Figure it'll make it easier to clean out the intercool and give it more psi to the sc. While I'm scratching away i started thinking if there was too much oil in the ski from winterizing it last fall. I can't remember if it was too high past the middle mark and when I ran it the first time it started to vibrate and coated the internal intercooler and fouling plugs causing it to misfire from the oil mixing with fuel. But, then I'm thinking this ski has a catch can so how is that oil getting through the supercharger and sending it up through the throttle body. This is what I'm trying to figure out and see if some of these smart fellas can make sense of this nightmare. When I removed the SC today I noticed engine oil on the shaft and I'm not sure if that's normal or even how it can get there. Every day I'm getting confused lol. I also have a 2007 rxp that I just finished and it's running Ike a top. Mind you the rxp sat for 12 years untouched that was given to me for free. I replaces a few parts, oil change, filter, plugs, fuel pump and fuel filters, battery, solenoid, wearing and she fired right up and runs like a beast. Pretty much the same motors but the components are slightly different.
And here I am with my ski for years that I baby all the time can't run right.. I'm hoping it was just the oil that coated the intercooler causing this mess. Being it was coated and sealed in the intake manifold, I can see how it would remain damp and oily for a long time. I'll keep you posted on what happens . Stay in touch with me so we can figure this out together.
Good luck with yours

Hey Trok,
what is your ski doing? Is it running rough and not getting up to higher rpms ? Is it the same issue I'm having with no fault codes?
And no I haven't tested any of the fuel pressure or changed the pump yet but, I did change the filter. I also had an oil leak from the pto shaft bearing bellow that I'm waiting for. Once I install the bellow, carbon seal back on for the second time. I can then reinstall the super charger. and but oil back in the ski. I spent over 10 hrs today scratching my head as I'm stripping the parts off. I even ordered a fizzle1000. Figure it'll make it easier to clean out the intercool and give it more psi to the sc. While I'm scratching away i started thinking if there was too much oil in the ski from winterizing it last fall. I can't remember if it was too high past the middle mark and when I ran it the first time it started to vibrate and coated the internal intercooler and fouling plugs causing it to misfire from the oil mixing with fuel. But, then I'm thinking this ski has a catch can so how is that oil getting through the supercharger and sending it up through the throttle body. This is what I'm trying to figure out and see if some of these smart fellas can make sense of this nightmare. When I removed the SC today I noticed engine oil on the shaft and I'm not sure if that's normal or even how it can get there. Every day I'm getting confused lol. I also have a 2007 rxp that I just finished and it's running Ike a top. Mind you the rxp sat for 12 years untouched that was given to me for free. I replaces a few parts, oil change, filter, plugs, fuel pump and fuel filters, battery, solenoid, wearing and she fired right up and runs like a beast. Pretty much the same motors but the components are slightly different.
And here I am with my ski for years that I baby all the time can't run right.. I'm hoping it was just the oil that coated the intercooler causing this mess. Being it was coated and sealed in the intake manifold, I can see how it would remain damp and oily for a long time. I'll keep you posted on what happens . Stay in touch with me so we can figure this out together.
Good luck with yours
Yes ,seems like same problem I'm having but I ordered fuel pump today and I'm leaning towards that but I'm installing a gauge so I can check fuel pressure so I see exactly what it's doing, and in putting it in line so it will stay incase future issues .I also have a 2007 RXP 155 that I've purchased new in 08 and never any issues runs flawlessly,

Yes ,seems like same problem I'm having but I ordered fuel pump today and I'm leaning towards that but I'm installing a gauge so I can check fuel pressure so I see exactly what it's doing, and in putting it in line so it will stay incase future issues .I also have a 2007 RXP 155 that I've purchased new in 08 and never any issues runs flawlessly,
Let me know what happens with that fuel gauge. I think the block off plate that comes with the Fizzle1000 has that option of installing one. I'm going to look into it myself. A tech told me the fuel pressure should be a 52lbs. Not sure if he was correct but, I'll do some research and double check. My fizzle should be here Thursday evening. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to install and we can finally have a solution to this nightmare!!
Stay in touch and send me a pic of the gauge you install.

Let me know what happens with that fuel gauge. I think the block off plate that comes with the Fizzle1000 has that option of installing one. I'm going to look into it myself. A tech told me the fuel pressure should be a 52lbs. Not sure if he was correct but, I'll do some research and double check. My fizzle should be here Thursday evening. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to install and we can finally have a solution to this nightmare!!
Stay in touch and send me a pic of the gauge you install.
From what I've found out today when purchased fuel pump ,factory settings should be around 58 to 60psi and that psi should stay steady .yes definitely let me know what you come up with and I'll do the same ,should be installing gauge tomorrow so we shall see ..

From what I've found out today when purchased fuel pump ,factory settings should be around 58 to 60psi and that psi should stay steady .yes definitely let me know what you come up with and I'll do the same ,should be installing gauge tomorrow so we shall see ..
Good luck man

So it sounds like you have tackled the spark side of the equation. What's left?

Air

You mentioned you rebuilt the SC so that eliminates that. Did you check all clamps and hoses? Rev the engine holding the hose going to the intake/IC. It should firm up pretty good as you squeeze it. If it doesn't, it is leaking. Did you pressure test the IC? If it is leaking, it just leaks right into the intake as it is there in intake manifold.

Fuel

Do you have a pressure fitting to attach to the rail to read fuel pressure? should be around 58 PSI and be constant. I would check each injector electrical plug. Pull them out to inspect them and reattach. If it runs rough at idle, pull the plug for the injectors 1 at a time and see if you find one that doesn't negatively affect the engine.

So it sounds like you have tackled the spark side of the equation. What's left?

Air

You mentioned you rebuilt the SC so that eliminates that. Did you check all clamps and hoses? Rev the engine holding the hose going to the intake/IC. It should firm up pretty good as you squeeze it. If it doesn't, it is leaking. Did you pressure test the IC? If it is leaking, it just leaks right into the intake as it is there in intake manifold.

Fuel

Do you have a pressure fitting to attach to the rail to read fuel pressure? should be around 58 PSI and be constant. I would check each injector electrical plug. Pull them out to inspect them and reattach. If it runs rough at idle, pull the plug for the injectors 1 at a time and see if you find one that doesn't negatively affect the engine.
I did everything possible plus all the checks you mention other than the fuel pressure ,hooking up a Guage on the fuel rail and last I'll do a compression test once I assemble everything back on the motor. I did discover an oily coated internal intercooler core. I should be receiving my block off and external IC today. I hope to get it on and I'm almost positive that's the culprit. All the symptoms lead to that.. I'll keep you all posted.. thanks for the advice. You guys helped alot through this nightmare.

I ended up just changing fuel pump but same issue, almost like its surging when u give it throttle, every once in a while it will actually run full power then it falls off.starts right up doesn't even idle rough. And I have a 2012 RXT-X260 with only 26 hours.

Just wondering how you coming on ur end and if anyone else has any ideas it would be much appreciated

Just wondering how you coming on ur end and if anyone else has any ideas it would be
So...I removed the internal intercooler the other day and noticed an oily heavy film on it. Must of been from over filling the oil when I winterized it. So being I upgraded the supercharger I ordered a fizzle external intercooler as well but, they sent me the wrong brackets and pipes so while I wait for the right stuff I decided to clean it the intercooler core. I checked it for a leak and all good under pressure. So I degreesed it and let it dry. I was also able to get my hand in the intake and wiped it all dry, then I remover my injectors again and cleaned them with brake cleaner while using a 9 volt battery to open them up to spray correctly. I also I pulled the plugs again and clean then up and it fired up and sounded so much better. Tommorow I'm going to take it out for a spin and check it. On land I put it in sport mode and the throttle response was like it used to be.. I was so excited but my wife dragged me out the door to go to a boring family function with 3 year-olds running around and I'm itching right now to just dump it in the water and test it!!! I will let you all know how it goes. But I think I narrowed it down to the intercooler. I will conform asap. How did you make out? Any luck yet?

Man,I really hope it runs smooth for you ,I didn't have good luck with mine ,installed new fuel pump same issue but mine will actually run at 100% every once in a while and not for long its almost like something is stuck or clogged up, I was almost certain it was starving for fuel but pump made no difference, I pulled all injectors cleaned them with carb cleaner & 9V,they seem to be functioning properly not sure if they would cause the problem I'm having but I ordered new injectors that will be in this week just incase. I'm at stand still now ,just seems like something simple I'm missing cause it starts up fine ,doesn't even idle rough just doesn't have any power, but then it's like surging when I give it full throttle and like i said sometimes if i keep it W.O.T I will slowly, steadily, keep kinda getn stronger more RPMs and then like I said for a couple minutes It actually felt strong like at 100% ..

Man,I really hope it runs smooth for you ,I didn't have good luck with mine ,installed new fuel pump same issue but mine will actually run at 100% every once in a while and not for long its almost like something is stuck or clogged up, I was almost certain it was starving for fuel but pump made no difference, I pulled all injectors cleaned them with carb cleaner & 9V,they seem to be functioning properly not sure if they would cause the problem I'm having but I ordered new injectors that will be in this week just incase. I'm at stand still now ,just seems like something simple I'm missing cause it starts up fine ,doesn't even idle rough just doesn't have any power, but then it's like surging when I give it full throttle and like i said sometimes if i keep it W.O.T I will slowly, steadily, keep kinda getn stronger more RPMs and then like I said for a couple minutes It actually felt strong like at 100% ..
Did you check the coils? Clean them up good. They say when they get wet they ground out. Maybe water is spraying on the them and making its way to the plugs. What about fuel pressure, were you able to check that? And try a new set of plugs. My last guess would be supercharger slipping or loose clamp on a hose. I'll let you know today how she runs. I'm excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back