2013 RXT 260 Sunk Today

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dav0321

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, my brother was riding my 2013 RXT 260 today right in front of me and randomly flipped it over. He has been riding it for years now and never flipped it over. He said it didn’t feel right (I think it was full of water). It wouldn’t immediately flip back over (I’ve flipped it a couple times in its life and flipped it right back over) so I jumped in the water to help and it wouldn’t flip over easily so I pulled it in a little bit (we were close to shore) to where I could stand and flipped it back over. It was mostly full of water but fired right up and usually pumps the water out, but I noticed the back end was sagging and it wasn’t pumping the water out, so I shut it off and swam it in to shore and pulled it out with the truck. I pulled the plugs and drained it out. What should I look at before putting this back into the water? From what I have read there is some kind of vacuum system that pumps the water out. I now know I should add a backup bilge pump (as well as change the oil plugs/etc before running) but I want to make sure the factory system is working. Any help/thoughts? Thanks!!

I wouldn't have tried to fire the ski back up right away with water in it( hydrolock), what I would have done is to take the ski out of the water and pull the plugs and try to start the ski with the throttle wide open so it doesn't spark until the water is out of the cylinders, change oil and filter, drain the gas just to be safe and put new plugs to go along with about a spoon of oil on each cylinder for lubrication. Just what I would have done.

You need to find out how far the water went . I sunk my 03 gtx twice and it restarted. Pull plugs and s/c hoses turn over check oil for water. Clean all connectors fuses etc and regrease. If water in oil ,change it and then run it and get it hot to boil out water. Then find out where waters coming in.

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely be changing oil, cleaning connectors, etc. I think I am looking for more of an understanding as to how the SeaDoo removes water from the engine compartment, is something plugged somewhere?

I would open the drains in the back of the ski and pick up on the trailer from the front and hold it up so the water goes to the back and drains.

Yes I did that, it’s all dried out now, I’m just not sure why it filled with water in the first place. I guess there are 2 hoses above the jet pump that I should check out, blow some air through them to be sure they are clear. Not sure what else to look for.

First,, pull the dipstick and see if there is water in the oil.

The fact that it fired up leads me to believe there is not water in the cylinders,, that's a good thing. If there is no water in the oil, you are looking good.

I'd pull the hoses from the SC and make sure there is no water in them and or the IC. Check the intake manifold as well..

Once you get this information, we can help you better.

I’ve already changed the oil, engine is fine, runs well. I found the 2 tubes that travel to the jet pump and there is a pickup on the tube that sits in the bottom of the hull to pickup water and send out just above the jet pump. I’m going to pull these lines off and blow some air through them and make sure they are clear. I’ve also ordered a bilge pump for it as well so that if the oem system fails again the pump will drain water off of it.

Those 2 bailer tubes have to be looped/tied up high in the hull above waterline or they will pull in water instead of removing it. I have had this happen on my XP, the bailer lines were sitting on bottom of hull and was taking on water. Definitely add a bilge pump to your ski. Another likely culprit is a bad carbon ring.

I have mixed feelings about adding a bilge pump. Depends on factors I guess. If your ski sits at a dock when not in use and is getting water in it a bilge won't do much as you will just kill your battery then it will sink anyway. If you only put it in the water when you are going to use it your siphon tubes working are the best way but a back up bilge in this case may have helped you, you just have to notice the problem and get it fixed as a bilge pump is not a fix and will just kill your battery. Don't want to get stuck in the middle of a lake with a battery that won't fire the machine up.

If I had a bilge pump I think I could have saved my 03 gtx. When I had a failure and the bilge would have come on I could have made it back without total destruction. Those siphons are meant to remove the small amounts of water let in to cool the carbon ring.....

Thanks for the replies. I traced the bailer lines back and there are 2 pickups that collect water in the bottom of each side and send it out the pump. I pulled theses pickups off and cleaned them and blew out the lines and replaced them with ziplines. I then zip tied the lines a little higher just to be safe. I also noticed that I was missing the siphon tubes on the pump, so I ordered these as well. Cleaning these out made water drain out of the plugs faster so I think the combination of cleaning them and replacing the siphon tubes should take care of the problem. I also ordered the bilge pump kit (SeaDoo part) to add on so that this shouldn't happen again. I would rather have a dead battery than a dead engine. On to another thread to see about replacing the pump bearing/seal. Thanks!

The siphon tubes will take the water out but you should never have water in the hull unless you have an issue, may be a carbon ring going out, good place to start, put the ski in the water raise the seat and see if you can hear or see water coming in.

If you were missing the siphon tubes in the nozzle, it will not create a vacuum and it will pump water into the hull instead of removing it. SeaDoo hasn't had this issue of siphon tubes falling out since 98 where most of them fell out in a few years.

My 2013 RXT-X 260 always has some amount of water in the bottom, even after holding the boat up to drain it. I showed the dealer and they claimed this was normal. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You shouldn't need to change your oil unless it's milky. If the oil you drained wasn't milky, it was okay and the water never got into the motor. As others said, put the ski back in the water and find that leak. You can also find it on land by filling the bilge full of water and seeing where it starts to leak out. Obviously, don't fill it up all the way, but submerge the driveshaft and see where it starts to drip from. I found a ton of leaks this way when I did my boat upgrade. Unless you have oil leaks everywhere, your engine should be sealed, so there is no worry about getting water in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back