2012 challenger 180 SE octane question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bedwards24676

Ok what's up. New to the forum. Just bought my new 2012 180 like 3 weeks ago. It states in the manual 87 octane required 91 recommended. What about 93. I can't get 91 around here. So I've been pumping 93. What's everyone's thoughts on this topic?

I run 91 if it is available, usually is. If not use 93, never had any problems. Also always use an ethanol treatment as well.

Best way to tell if your fuel is OK, is to listen to your engine.....It will tell you if 87 is too low. If you run too low an octane in a high compression engine it will detonate, making a knocking / pinging sound. Makers of higher compression engines recommend higher octane because increasing "octane" actually makes fuel harder to burn, which is necessary because too low an low octane fuel in a high compression, hot engine causes the fuel to pre-ignite(detonate / ping) before it's supposed to. I don't think 4-TEC's are wicked high compression. Oil companies promote the idea that higher octane = more power, something a dyno test would most likely disprove as making fuel harder to burn doesn't equate to higher H/P. I usually use the highest premium (91 here in AZ), but I have gassed up at marinas that only had 87 (reg) and didn't notice any real difference, maybe a psychological difference.

I run 98 octane from either BP or Mobil. If I fill up anywhere else I only use 95 octane. This is based on advice from my dealer. They also advise not to use shell optimax.

I only use 87 octane on my non-supercharged speedster 200 & never have had a problem. I put higher octane in my cars when I have noticed they need it (corvette), but the boat has always been fine on 87.

The higher octane gas actually burns slower and will leave your valvetrain filthy. I have built many motors and torn down even more, and each one had crap on the valves and piston head except the ones that ran leaded gas or low octain. If your motor can run 87, and all Rotax can, then you should do your wallet and your engine a favor and run 87.

Leaded fuel ran clean? Hard to believe. I remember the old days when leaded fuel left big time deposits on intake valves and spark plugs.

At some stations some lower octane fuel is mixed with ethanol. The prob is in a marine environment, or if sweating in the tank occurs the ethanol can be affected by minute amounts of water & separate from the petroleum. This can then ruin your engine.

What do you run davo?

At some stations some lower octane fuel is mixed with ethanol. The prob is in a marine environment, or if sweating in the tank occurs the ethanol can be affected by minute amounts of water & separate from the petroleum. This can then ruin your engine.

I use bp 98 optimax. The way I figure it the cost is only $5 per tank more where I live. The higher octane burns hotter, produces slightly more power. As long as the engine doesn't run too lean(from the chip etc) it should run better & cleaner. Same reason guys I know run AvGas through their hotted up cars & that's 110 octane! If I gas up from a marina on the odd occasion when I'm out they only have 95 premium. Unfortunately my local marina has only standard 91, so I jerry can my fuel down.

How's the set up coming along moochy??

Bye the way I pinched your idea of the suction ipad holder...gold.

By the way I found an ipad holder which should work better than tape. Will post pics when it arrives.

Man o man the iPad idea is getting out of control, I currently use the vogels ringo mount for my iPad Connected to a RAM mount which is great but I have to tape up the holes. I'm seriously considering the andres industries IP67 mount which would let me leave it permanently mounted in the roughest of conditions. At $400 for the cover and $100 for the adapter it's more expensive than the iPad!

For anyone buying an ipad make sure u get the 3G version as the wifi only ones don't have the GPS chip.

A video of what I have is seen here http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bHJrRQvX0ao

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the camzilla suction variable ipad mount, I've got a scanstrut case coming from the UK soon. All up about $180. I have just the wifi ipad, but use my iphone on hotspot so the pad can pick it up. The 3g one may have been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back