93 Octane Ethanol Free- Safe to use?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Local Gas Station chain has Ethanol Free available in 93 Octane only. I have a 1998 Sportster 1800 with Twin 717 Rotax engines. The manual states to use 87 Octane, but that was 25 years ago and fuel has changed. I see posts of people refering to 89 and even 91 but usually seems to be still talking about mixed gas.
Just want some opinions and I guess my main concern is the manual is pretty ademenant about only running 87. Hoping to hear maybe why that is so and some real world experiences. Thanks in advance

I used to break in my 717 after a rebuild with either 90 or 91 ethanol free gas, can't remember which. I was able to find 87 ethanol free for much cheaper locally, so I go with that now.

From what I remember about high octane gas is that its better for high compression ratio engines. Idk if 93 octane ethanol free would be explicitly bad for these engines. At this price point for gas, it almost makes more sense to make your own lower octane ethanol free. 😂😂 aka buy 93 octane pump gas w/ethanol and mix with water and shake, then drain off the bottom solution when the mixture separates. Maybe add an octane booster too. But that's way too much work 😂😂.

Try checking pure gas to see if there are other non-ethanol suppliers in your area.

Will not hurt anything but your wallet.me I tell my customers to run what ever the manuel recommends they are designed and tested with that octane and run its best at that octane.now if you have alit of carbone on you domes going up a few points will help.old snowmobile racing trick in stock class.run the motors extremely extremely rich to the point of actually adding 20 thou to the domes then sanding them smooth to get some compression

We have had ethanol in our fuel for many years now.
Not one single issue running 87 octane ethanol in all my skis. Only thing I do is add Marine Sta-Bil for storage. I really think people worry too much and Sta-Bil is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back