2010 Speedster 150 gas smell

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordo

I am a first time boat buyer and am seriously considering buying a 2010 Speedster with the 155 Hp engine and less than 100 hrs on the clock. I looked at it in the sellers driveway and everything looked good, except there were noticeable gas fumes when opening up the floor storage location. The engine compartment was also looked at but I did not notice any fumes at the time. I still plan a test drive. The seller says that the fumes are due to storage preservative spray that remains as the boat has only done a half hour of running since being it storage for the year. I will be storing the boat in my home attached garage and any fumes will be an issue as well as a safety concern during operation. Do other owners also get gas fumes from their Speedster ? Seems like a relatively simple fuel system but is there potentially a check valve that is not functioning properly or maybe a poor gasket seal is a likely problem ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking for second opinions as I really like this boat , except for this issue.

Seems odd that you'd smell fumes there, and not in the engine compartment. I have an '06 Sportster with the same engine, and I've never smelled gas, other than when near the vent outlet.

Thanks for your opinion. I did open the storage compartment before looking in the engine compartment. I think my nose may have already been accustomed to the fuel odour when I looked in the engine compartment. My wife did sit on the boat while I discussed details with the seller in his home. She informed me that she could smell the gas the whole time, but thought this was maybe normal. It only struck me last night after returning home that this seemed out of the ordinary. When I emailed the seller this morning his response was that it was the preservation spray he used. I will have a chance to check more thoroughly prior and after a test drive. Still looking for other experiences and opinions.

The XPS anti corrosive spray lube does have a strong solvent like smell to it. I notice it still in the spring when I get my boat ready to go. He may be telling you the truth.

Thanks OG1 for that input, XPS anti corrosive spray lube is exactly what the seller is using. Does it smell like gas fumes ? How long does it typically take for the odour to go away ? I guess if I use this stuff prior to storing the boat for the winter, I would probably smell it in my garage ? I am feeling better about the purchase, I want to trust people but when significant amounts of money are involved, it is only human nature for buyer beware to come into effect.

I still smell it months later when inside the hull. With my ski it did stink up the garage for a few days. Boat is stored outside so don't have that issue.

its funny you should raise this. there was another post recently where they said the ski locker smelled of gas but not the engine bay. its good to have an explanation

Interesting, do you know if the issue was resolved, do you have a reference to the post. In my case the test drive should be Saturday so I will hopefully determine if this is fuel or just residual XPS. If it still smells then probably I would request a fresh water rinse, if XPS then odour should subside but if fuel then a rinse would not resolve the issue. Anyone else have a guess as to what would smell like gas and seems to maybe be only in the ski locker ? Maybe opening the locker allowed a draft to flow through. I know the boat has been modified with a K & N air filter, I wonder if that may be part of the issue.

Well, I went for a test ride and it ran really well, and I can tell that the boat has been well cared for. I do smell a slight hint of fuel still and did still bought the boat. My family of four went riding on Lake Ontario today, it was a blast. I do make sure to run the blower before starting and will try to track down the slight gasoline smell, but I figure it was not a deal breaker. Thanks for those that provided comments/ opinions. Boat went from 78 hours to 79 hours today, even though we drove for two hours plus, is this typical ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back