Gas Smell - GTR215

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jjnmeg

I have a pair of GTR 215s, upgraded with xChargers and Fizzle Intercoolers. Both run extremely strong and top out at 71 at sea level. One of the skis runs a little rough/chugs at idle and has a gas smell. Once you get going it runs as strong as the other ski and has the same top speed. Upon inspection cylinder 3 spark plug is a little wet and the top of the piston looks different than the other two cylinders (not as dry looking). I can't imagine the ski would run this strong if it was running on two cylinders. Is it possible it either misfires or doesn't burn all of the fuel at idle/low rpm and runs fine at higher rpm? There are no codes on the ECU.

I have swapped all coils, plugs, injectors, and ecu from one ski to the next and same issue with cylinder 3. if I unplug coil harness from cylinder 3 while running there is no change. If I unplug harness from all other cylinders there is a noticeable change

Just borrowed compression tester and turns out there is NO compression in cylinder 3. 99 hrs on ski. Recommendations?

If you have a manual do a leakage test as it will tell you where the compression is going , you can convert the tester to inject air with only a couple small fittings. Otherwise get a manual and pull the head to see , stuck valve , bad valve, broken rings or cracked piston , rings or cracked piston would give a lot of smoke , so leaning towards a valve problem.

I have actually seen simular issues with an engine where the valve seat had corrosion in it. It showed really bad compression test numbers, but would run strong when full throttle.

The leak was able to be overcome is my guess as the cycle times decreased through higher rpm acceleration.

This was in a skidoo not a seadoo..ran like crap low rpm. Could party hard at full throttle.

Pulled the head, lapped the valves, problem solved.

Shop finally got to the ski. PTO cylinder has zero compression and head is fine. Looks like a $4200 rebuild.

Back