2009 RXT iS 255 - General thoughts?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnovision27

Hey all!

First post here, short time lurker. Picked up a 2018 Spark Trixx 3up at the start of this season, and it's safe to say that this is the best summer I've had. What a freakin blast!
Well, it's finally time to address the other issue of the summer.... I only have one, and my gf is always giving me looks from the dock because she wants to go for a rip.

So, I've come across a 2009 RXt SI with 160 hours on it, dealer maintained at recommended intervals, not a scratch on it (just a little plastic fading), and no issues to speak of. Just to top it off, it comes on a "like new" 2017 imove trailer. All for a price of $9000 CDN

Now, I've done what research I can to get acquainted with this machine before pulling the trigger and I haven't found many issues.
Ones I have found are:
1 - iBR software issue (causing late response time)
2 - the hull makes a bit of a strange sound
3 - The top deck is a pain to remove, if need be.

and that's pretty much it.....

I'd love to hear some other thoughts from current/previous owners, past riders, mechanics, etc It seems like quite a great deal!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have one and it is a blast. Since owning it for the last three plus years I have upgraded the IBR, replaced the coolant tank, rebuilt the supercharger as it is required every 100hrs and replaced the battery.
The top deck is a pain but doable. I usually just remove the back spring and leave the front connected, then there is enough room to get the engine cowling off and you can get to most things.
The hull does make strange sounds in slight chop. no big deal.
I personally prefer to ride with the top deck all the way down as it doesn't feel as top heavy.
I had a maintenance light and code last time out. The ECM couldn't read the TPS and gauge cluster.
I cleaned and dielectric greased the four connections to the gauge cluster and no more problem.
The only real thing I don't like is fuel consumption. Damn thing will not pass a marina. :)

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to having some variety. Was also expecting the gas guzzling monster compared to the Spark. ($20 for a full afternoon of nonsense!)
I assume the price is a good point, if not pretty low, all things considered.

I've looked into the "upgraded iBR" as I've seen it mentioned, but couldn't find any information regarding the install, part number, or what is involved. Is there something specific I could look for to see whether or not it is equipped?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to having some variety. Was also expecting the gas guzzling monster compared to the Spark. ($20 for a full afternoon of nonsense!)
I assume the price is a good point, if not pretty low, all things considered.

I've looked into the "upgraded iBR" as I've seen it mentioned, but couldn't find any information regarding the install, part number, or what is involved. Is there something specific I could look for to see whether or not it is equipped?

Cheers
If you were to purchase an IBR it will be the upgraded model automatically.

Well, here's to hoping the current module doesn't fail.

Did have one issue with it today during a test ride.

It was pretty choppy out, the suspension dealt with that no problem at higher speeds.
Ad moderate speeds 30-40mph, i hit a wave or 2 pretty roughly and it completely stalled the machine. Full shut down, needles frozen in place, and wouldn't start or even take electrical power back.

After waiting about 5 minutes or so, it seemed to start back up.

This happened a number of times, all right after med-hard wave hits, even some smoother transitions with a little *smack. Some caused the full power down, others caused the instrument cluster to light up (iBR, Check Engine light and scrolling text, rpm limit to 4000 and running quite rough)

In all instances, a restart solved the issue.

Have any thoughts? Everything appeared to be connected securely in the engine compartment, at least from what I could see.

Last edited:
Exact same thing happened to me.
Raise the rear hatch and remove the fire extinguisher. Right there will be the battery and two fuse boxes. Remove the battery cables clean and reinstall with dielectric grease. (have it tested first)
Remove the fuse box covers and remove all the fuses one at a time. Check, clean and reinstall with dielectric grease. Chances are pretty good you are going to find a couple of them with corrosion.
I did this and no more stalling when landing from a jump.

Well, thank god that was my first intuition. Battery is already on a charger.
All the fuses seem to be in good shape. Both boxes are clean, dry, and corrosion free.

"Limp home mode" that has to be what happened a few of the times.

Thanks again jesse! Don't go anywhere yet, I'm sure there will be other issues. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back