2008 Speedster 150 won't start - probably electrical

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macster

Hey guys

This is hopefully an easy fix with your help:

When I turn the Speedster kill switch on and put the lanyard in, the dash lights up and I can turn on all other electrical components e.g. fan, lights etc but when I hit the start button I only get a clicking sound. To eliminate the battery as being part of the problem - I've hooked it up to another battery which I know is charged and more than capable of turning over the Speedster, but I still get the clicking sound and no turnover.

I've checked all obvious fuses in the engine compartment, including the one tucked up behind the kill switch and all fuses in the front storage compartment - all were ok.

At one point, the dash did display error: P1513 - Exterior temperature circuit low voltage, but has not shown that since connecting the second jump start battery.

Not sure why this has occurred, though I did leave the Speedster battery on trickle charge for 4-5 days last week with a charge unit that auto-shuts off once charged (this charge unit is not faulty I tested it today). Usually when I topped up the Speedster battery it would only take a day or two max, so this was a little out of the blue and probably indicates time for a new battery... So I'm wondering if leaving it on charge for that period has somehow fried some circuits?

As always - appreciate any insight, I don't have the manual so maybe there is some other fuse I have missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read up some more on code 1513 - seems in some instances it requires going back to the dealer for BUDS rectification. But apparently this only happens when the battery has been dead and disconnected for a long period of time.

if you are getting 2 beeps, the computer is reading the lanyard. I honestly would suspect the battery so far. I know you say you used a different one, but make sure to have one load tested and fully charged.

Also, you say it beeps...2 beeps?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are getting 2 beeps, the computer is reading the lanyard. I honestly would suspect the battery so far. I know you say you used a different one, but make sure to have one load tested and fully charged.

Also, you say it beeps...2 beeps?

You could be right RFoster. I spoke to my mechanic friend and he said simply connecting the good battery to the old battery with jumper leads will not help if the old battery has dropped a cell. Problem is, my camping battery is way too big to hook up to the boat terminals, so I'll have to grab a new one for the boat next weekend to know for sure.

BTW - pretty sure I got the two beeps except when the error code came up which was one long beep.

Follow up - turns out it was the battery (well done RFoster). Put a new one in finally today and all is well. Lesson learned - once a battery dies it doesn't matter if you hook a good one up to it, the current won't pass through...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back