2008 Sea Doo 230 Challenger SE 430 HP NEW OWNER with Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnathanrn

Hello all... I am the proud owner of a new 2008 230 chalenger se 430hp.... boat has 15 hours on her. I have a couple of questions and hope there are some answers.

1- The drivers side window seems like its off the track... I have to pull it up to bring it up and will fall down and stop halfway staying in that position... any ideas?

2-I heard horror stories about the stock intake grates... are there any aftermarket grates that fit this boat? I have tried searching online but have not found anything.

3-There's a small scratch on the bottom with some of the fiberglass showing through the gel coat... whats the best product to use...the tube that looks like a one step process or the actual product where I have to mix in the two separate chemicals?

4-Where can i find the shop/service manual for this boat... NOT the owners manual as I already have one.

5-Any suggestions on maintenance for the boat? (superchargers etc)

6-Any tips on driving and docking?

7-Previous owner says he changed the oil and boat is all ready to go... Do I trust this and just check the oil level or change the oil again?

8-Does my model come with non ceramic washers? i hear that the ceramic ones are no good.

Thank you all very much for your time. -John

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new boat. It sounds like you did some homework before you purchased because you commented about the ceramic washers. I have a 2008 Speedster with the twin 215's it had the ceramic washers, boats did not get them until 2009 model year. I've had them swapped out. I went a year a half before doing so and I always crossed my fingers they wouldn't let go and trash the engine. It's well worth every penny for that piece of mind . This should be your top priority.

I was new to boating when I got mine. It sounds too simple but driving and docking comes down to practice , practice and more practice. The throttles are your best friend, I tend to feather mine back and forth in tight spots. The only other tip is in regards to others at the dock , take your time. The mindset I always take is if they were in such a hurry they probably should got out there before me.

Lotsa good advice from folks far more experienced than me. I've learned a ton while on here.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new boat. I spent a couple of hours every night for two weeks reading most of the threads on this forum when I joined, and I can recall multiple threads on nearly every question you have stated above.

On point 7 - without receipts of mechanical work performed, I'd be doing an oil change and spark plugs to be sure. I'd also have the pumps pulled apart and the bearings checked, wear rings, impeller blades and the impeller oil changed. Whilst you're at it, check all hose clamps in the engine bay, replace the coolant, inspect cables, tighten bolts on intake grate, test the battery (mine just died after 3 years and 60 hrs), of course go the new washers for the super charger, clean the air filters, make sure the bilge pump is working, lube all moving parts and spray electronic components with anti-corrosive stuff, check your trailer bearings and lights, make sure the winch is ok, check the bunks / skids for rot, check for any rust on the trailer etc etc.

Maybe see if there is an experienced club member near by you who can take you through the above steps if you're not confident - or leave it to a trusted dealer to perform a service and give it a once over.

Thanks for your relies....yea docking will just take some practice... I did buy a floating jet dock for the boat so hopefull it won't be so bad.... any club members that live in new York? Long island/queens? Willing to pay for your time and services...Also I could not find any threads for questions numbers one and two (drivers window doesn't work and do stock intake grates need to be replaced). Thanks again everyone.

Wlecome!!! Most of those questions have been answered. Seems that a few people had the same problem with the window..maybe there is a specific fix. The gel cote repair kit may get you fixed on the gel depending on how bad it is. As far as docking...they are right, it just takes ton of practice..we have all been in that boat before (literally).LOL I would be on top of the supercharger and washers as top priority.

I didnt know they made the floating docks big enough for the 23 foot boats..Post a pic up when you got it on there.

How bad is the gel cote damage? I just got the supplies so do some repairs on my ski and after trying one spot it is not nearly as simple as the directions make it out to be. I found some excellent how-to videos and was then able to make the remainder of the repairs so well that you can't even tell there was a scratch there. This is in the upper colored area, in my case blue, of the hull. I also have some small spots on the very bottom but because I boat in the river alot I think I'm going to wait until the end of the season to fix them. Do it all at once instead of doing it twice cause I know something else will scratch at some point. I'm in north New Jersey if your really looking to avoid a dealership I could potentially help you with some of the issues (I've got the pump to extract the oil, the shop manual, etc) but we would have to talk more.

Actually just repaired the gel coat today...went very well actually. Nice and smooth and flat. Would you be able to make a copy of the shop manual for me? I'm willing to pay any expenses that you incur. Still haven't found any threads on how to fix the window or even how to get at it...just posts of the window being broken. Lmao @RFOSTER....good line I'll have to use it from now on. I'll posts pics of the floating jet dock as soon as I put my baby in the water. Any suggestions on brand/type of washers to replace on the supercharges? Thanks again all.

Actually just repaired the gel coat today...went very well actually. Nice and smooth and flat. Would you be able to make a copy of the shop manual for me? I'm willing to pay any expenses that you incur. Still haven't found any threads on how to fix the window or even how to get at it...just posts of the window being broken. Lmao @RFOSTER....good line I'll have to use it from now on. I'll posts pics of the floating jet dock as soon as I put my baby in the water. Any suggestions on brand/type of washers to replace on the supercharges? Thanks again all.

I sent you a private message regarding the shop manual...

I forgot to ask the obvious....how does someone buy/own, a boat for 3 to 4 years and only have 15 hours on it?

That's easy, with a 2 year old and a 5 month old I can understand. Between raising babies and a pregnant wife, I only put about 15 hours on mine total the last 3 summers.

Sucks for him, you got a pretty sweet little doo out of it....

And my wife wonders why I don't want kids yet :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back