2008 RXT Top speed 58

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erie

Hi Everyone, I am new to jet skis. I just got a used 2008 RXT 215 2 days ago. It has 140 hours and has been serviced by a reputable dealer in my area. I have ran it now for about 3 hours and it seems very powerful and smooth but I really don't have much to compare it to. The on board speedometer at full throttle goes to 58mph and the RPMs are about 7800. It feels fast and everything seems normal. I started reading here and everyone seems to be getting closer to 70mph out of there 215hp skis. I have not verified the speed with a GPS yet but I will. The previous owner said everything is stock and the dealer said all service has been preformed up to date. (the supercharger was re-built at 100 hours) Anything I should look at other than the possibility of the on-board speedo being that far off?
Thanks

You are off a bit. I have the 255 and hit 72 mph any day of he week. Ski is 4 yrs old and have not changed the wear ring or impeller. I'd swap spark plugs first as well as a new fuel filter and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharger was rebuilt about 40 hours (year and a half) ago according to the service dealer and previous owner. It pulls hard and feels fast and strong. It pretty windy today so probably won't be able to get up to full speed but I will try using an app on my phone to compare GPS speed. Anyone know of a good app that can record your speed over time? I know they exist just can't find one! Lol.

Check the speed with a GPS before tearing into it the speedo pickup wheel is old school on that model so it could be a false reading. RPM is low it should max out around 8000 to 8100 rpm.

If the speed is 58 on GPS then check the following:
- Impeller and wear ring condition.
- Oil level.
- Supercharger slip.

Looks like it has too much oil. It just above the second bend. Sounds like that's too much?

With ski level run engine for 30 sec shut off and wait 30 sec then check oil level it should be half way between the bends. Get the oil level correct then see what it does to the rpm and speed.

Too much oil kills the performance of the 4-tec. I'd be shocked if that is not the issue.

Supercharger was rebuilt about 40 hours (year and a half) ago according to the service dealer and previous owner. It pulls hard and feels fast and strong. It pretty windy today so probably won't be able to get up to full speed but I will try using an app on my phone to compare GPS speed. Anyone know of a good app that can record your speed over time? I know they exist just can't find one! Lol.

I use the "Navionics" app for boating. With it you can set a track and it will show speed, time etc for that trip. You can even replay the track and monitor speed etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back