2008 gtx 215 supercharger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullybear_123

Hey guys, new to the thread here.

I'm in the process of buying my first Sea-Doo and I had a question that i figured some of y'all would be able to answer.

I'm taking a 2008 GTX 215 for a test ride this weekend, it is lady driven with approx. 70 hours on it. now I've read over and over again that you should rebuild the supercharger every 100 hours. - I also spent a little bit of time reading the manual for this machine and it stated that a notice will come across the dash when it is time to service the supercharger.

So, my question is - should i just rebuild the supercharger right away if i purchase it, or should i wait until it reaches 100 hours(which would likely be at the end of this summer) or should i just wait for the notice to come across the dash?

Also - does anyone know if this supercharger has the ceramic bearing or did they switch to the stonger metal bearing by 2008?

looking forward to all of your feedback,

Cheers

Well your off on the right track reading the operators manual before you purchase and doing you’ research on the supercharger and maintenance warning light. The warning light is ECM driven and if the lady driver rode the ski really hard it will turn the light on earlier than 100 hours but not delay it if it was rode easy.
There is also a time issue, the bearing holders in the SC bearings are a composite plastic and up till a couple years ago the recommended time interval between maintenance was 1 year. If you get your SC rebuilt now that is extended to 200 hrs and 2 years with a updated kit.
Her SC is twelve years old and a ticking time bomb if it hasn’t failed already.
Make sure you get maximum WOT and near max speed on your test drive and no surging.
Turn around time is about a week on the SC and $500 through PWC Muscle and he does a lot.
You can spend the week getting the SC off, changing oil, spark plugs, new gas, making her pretty, etc.

Get it rebuilt.

Well your off on the right track reading the operators manual before you purchase and doing you’ research on the supercharger and maintenance warning light. The warning light is ECM driven and if the lady driver rode the ski really hard it will turn the light on earlier than 100 hours but not delay it if it was rode easy.
There is also a time issue, the bearing holders in the SC bearings are a composite plastic and up till a couple years ago the recommended time interval between maintenance was 1 year. If you get your SC rebuilt now that is extended to 200 hrs and 2 years with a updated kit.
Her SC is twelve years old and a ticking time bomb if it hasn’t failed already.
Make sure you get maximum WOT and near max speed on your test drive and no surging.
Turn around time is about a week on the SC and $500 through PWC Muscle and he does a lot.
You can spend the week getting the SC off, changing oil, spark plugs, new gas, making her pretty, etc.

Get it rebuilt.

Thanks for your reply i appreciate your insight. Do you have any other tips for me going into my test ride this weekend, things to look for, etc?

General condition and maintenance records are important. You know the seller. Has it ever been in salt water? Corrosion on the engine or nozzle are should not be extreme. Has it sat outside? Or gauges clear? Deep scratches or gouges in hull? Steering free and full? Trailer condition? If it looks good and runs good that’s about it.

A 2008 215 SC has 2 significant issues:

1. It probably has ceramic washers - these disintegrate without warning requiring an engine teardown and rebuild (they started eliminating ceramic washers during the 2008 model year - assume yours has them).

2. It's 14 years old - the bearing cages are ready to disintegrate, requiring...... yes, you guessed it, an engine teardown and rebuild!

Get the supercharger rebuilt with the latest SeaDoo rebuild kit, if you decide to get it. Figure about a grand if you have someone do it for you. Use that to bargain the price down.

Im in need of 2 rebuilds for my recently purchased 03 185's. Is it same price? also I removed the intake on the wheel side and reached in with my hands to check and there is no play so Im assuming they aren't about to detonate?? anyways sorry to highjack the thread it just takes a very long time to get a reply when I start a thread. 435 seems fare what is the turn around time? and I assume you use the newer rebuild kit with metal washers?

also is there any upgrades that can be done with a rebuild to get more power or can you use a 16 tooth vs the 17 tooth in a 185 for more boost ?

Increasing boost would likely require an intercooler (as in the later 215s) to prevent detonation. Don't know if the CPU would be compatible - maybe someone who's done this can comment?

I have heard of non intercooler applications but maybe they meant non upgraded intercooler applications, I figured the cpu could adjust for a little more boost but I am new to PWC most of my knowledge comes from fast cars, street and dirt bikes. I wouldn't be opposed to an upgraded set of fuel injectors to make up for the extra boost as long as its safe and doesn't require custom tuning. But like you said maybe someone with experience with this will chime in. Thanks

Im in need of 2 rebuilds for my recently purchased 03 185's. Is it same price? also I removed the intake on the wheel side and reached in with my hands to check and there is no play so Im assuming they aren't about to detonate?? anyways sorry to highjack the thread it just takes a very long time to get a reply when I start a thread. 435 seems fare what is the turn around time? and I assume you use the newer rebuild kit with metal washers?
We are currently at about a 48 hour turn around time. You prepay for the service and send it in to us. That's correct, we use only OEM parts and the newest SeaDoo rebuild kits.

Last edited:
Yep, $435 per unit. We are currently at about a 48 hour turn around time. You prepay for the service and send it in to us. That's correct, we use only OEM parts and the newest SeaDoo rebuild kits.

Greg,

Ive been away from the scene for a while, is there a pinned thread somewhere on how to remove the SC and where to pre-pay and have it sent in ? I just purchased a 2008 GTX that I know nothing about as far as shop records . When I purchased it, i factored a rebuild and potential engine work into the price and the seller accepted . That said I'm ready to start looking into getting the thing back up to snuff .

Greg,

Ive been away from the scene for a while, is there a pinned thread somewhere on how to remove the SC and where to pre-pay and have it sent in ? I just purchased a 2008 GTX that I know nothing about as far as shop records . When I purchased it, i factored a rebuild and potential engine work into the price and the seller accepted . That said I'm ready to start looking into getting the thing back up to snuff .
https://pwcmuscle.com/sea-doo-supercharger-rebuild-service/SCRS.html?lang=en_US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back