2007 Seadoo Speedster 150 Blower

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pixel

The bildge blower on my 155 isn't working. It stopped sometime last summer I think, and am fixing it before getting it out this year. All other electrical is working fine (lights, bilge pump, stereo, starter all good).

I checked the voltage to the blower and it looked OK, so I assumed the blower itself was dead. I ordered a new one, but decided to re-test the old one before replacing it. Sure enough, when connected directly to a 12V source, it goes just fine. So now, both new and old not working when plugged to the blower connector, but spin fine on a 12V source.

Thinking I must have a loose wire and got lucky with the first voltage reading, I double checked voltage again, and again. Every time it is 12V+ when the blower switch is engaged, and then 0V when switch is open. Not sure how that makes sense when plugged directly to 12V that it spins, but not when connected normally. I double checked the fuse -- it looks good, and when the fuse is pulled there is no voltage at the blower plug or light on the switch.

Am I missing something obvious?

Not being exactly sure how the blower is wired, (I haven't had the need to check mine yet), most 12VDC applications are sent the positive voltage from the battery through a switch, then a fuse block, then to the appliance.... and the negative or ground of the appliance is connected to a common ground buss or in the case of a car, a commonly grounded piece of metal. Check to make sure how the blower fan is grounded properly and make sure that ground pathway is good/clean.

I checked out the ground path but the issue doesn't seem to be there. (I get the same result with direct connection to battery ground terminal).

New info however, I was previously measuring the voltage unloaded at 12V. However, with the blower connected, the "ON" voltage is a measley 0.05V. I think that means either bad wiring or bad switch giving high resistance on the positive line.

I will clean and/or replace the switch next ...

Last edited:
I checked out the ground path but the issue doesn't seem to be there. (I get the same result with direct connection to battery ground terminal).

New info however, I was previously measuring the voltage unloaded at 12V. However, with the blower connected, the "ON" voltage is a measley 0.05V. I think that means either bad wiring or bad switch giving high resistance on the positive line.

I will clean and/or replace the switch next ...

Easy enough to test.... make a jumper wire and jump the terminals on the switch. If the blower works, there's your answer!

Yes. the blower works fine when I jump the terminals. The replacement switch (from Amazon) will arrive on Monday.

Switch replaced; issue fixed. Thanks all for the input.

* I wish I had never taken the blower off. That was a PITA to get back on! *

These switches can be taken apart and fixed. In my experience it's just carbon on the contacts. I had a number of switches not working properly on my 06 180. If you attempt this there are many parts inside, so open them with care. It's best to lift the top off straight up. If you have them upside down and lift the bottom off everything falls out. Then you have a nice puzzle to figure out haha.

Thanks. I figured it must just be a bad contact, but I wasn't able to get it open. Amazon's price was pretty cheap and delivered quickly on Prime. ;-)

Thanks. I figured it must just be a bad contact, but I wasn't able to get it open. Amazon's price was pretty cheap and delivered quickly on Prime. ;-)

Maybe the speedster has a different switch.

Regardless, you likely saved yourself a lot of aggravation buy buying new!

Since you said so, I checked again and found the latch to open the switch ... and of course, I did it upside-down and had a bunch little springs and other bits fly out every-which way. No way would it be worth the $6 replacement cost to put this thing back together! ;-)

In any case, it was perfectly clean inside.

Haha, for $6 you absolutely should buy new ones.

They are clean, but there will be a little black circle where the electrical contact is made and it appears that is all it takes to cause the switch to malfunction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back