2006 Seadoo Wake. Woooooooooo!!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone's opinion on the Wake? Just got an 06 in good shape, a bit neglected with about 5 gallons of water in the hull since Harvey.

I have been wanting a big turd ski for fishing and relaxation with the fam. This Wake will fill my needs like no other. Going to sell my 96 XP now. I have a B1 which is my true love. I had a GP760 I traded for a Honda Big Red to move my skis with and missed "Falkor" like no other, as it was my fisher.

What should I look for on the Wake?
Any common issues
This ski is more complex than a spaceship

There is some moderate corrosion on the back of the engine thing in the rear compartment. I worry about the bottom of engine too

Alot of the bolts are very rusted too, the guy said the gauges didn't work either

Over all very excited about bringing this one back to life

As far as the corrosion. I do powder coat so blasting and baking them is no problem.

I make the nee guys look like seasoned veterans in this case.
3ceccbd4aedda2b1c06609e5cfbb6170.jpg
376b55ee81c00705e2c6922fd52010c4.jpg
8718a5ec43ecabcb99303f118074be06.jpg
e3ebb1caa8f3a77e2393440636c5d39d.jpg

Thanks for the heads up

It does start up. I was considering parting it out. I'll have to get into it more before I see how far gone it is

Well as long as it runs properly, there's no sense in parting it out b/c parts with broken fasteners have low value. I love the ugly patina, it would be cool if it runs well, lol.

Just tell people you never looked under the seat, or don't they all look like this?

Last edited:
It actually runs, revs, and idles. Changed the plugs and put fresh gas in and ran it on the hose for a few minutes. Alot of rusted fasteners, but behold the healing power of Fluid Film.

Soon as I get the title I'm just gonna send it

Yes, it runs... If it is that corroded on the outside most likely it is corroded on the inside too. It will run, after exact 5 minutes WOT you hear a clunk and you have a dead engine - that is the typical outcome of these kinds of ski's. You need to be brave to dump 1 dollar and 1 minute of time in this, not being arrogant but I would call it plain stupid.
Just my 7 cents.

OMG. It is eaten up by saltwater? If so, I wouldn't touch it. Fact is, you will never be able to trust that machine so if you venture too far you may end up rowing your boat (gently down the stream...).

Yes things aren't as resilient as they used to be. I have about 6 bucks and a few gallons of gas in it so far... plus the gas to go pick it up, got it from the free store about 800 ft from the tide line of the Gulf of Mexico

If the guy if the guy comes through with the title I may mess with that stator/waterpump cover and see what's up with it.

I'd like to keep total cost, including tax tag and title, under 80 bucks.

It has a sticker on the ski that says "saltwater proven", so it should be fine [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

My first thought with modern skis is that one component breaks and then you're doomed.

Don't think I'll be selling my 96 XP to fund the fixing of this. Just ride it till it breaks and part it out

The seadoos come from the dealer with that much corrosion down here. That's very minimal for these parts. I've seen 2 year old machines in much worse shape than this. It appears the rest of these skis stay pretty wet inside the compartment as the covers on Ebay are just as corroded too.

A good cleaning would be nice too. Makes it easier to see what you're messing with
Fluid Film therapy has been started. Lol

That rear cover though is bugging me. I'm going to pull it unfortunately, but when the time comes, as if the guy doesn't order the title I'll just part it. I know all the bolts are going to snap, so I'll just drill off the heads and pull it, leaving studs to soak with PB blaster and then weld a nut to the exposed part. That helps as it heats up the stud. But not too much as it will only require a slight tack to keep the nut on. I'm very proficient with stuck fasteners. 15 years of surf skis and you have to be

Fingers crossed on the guy getting my paperwork!!

But on a real note... my 96 xp is looking like it will be my fishing ski. The B1 is a little tipsy for utility purposes

I own this very ski. Mine was used in brackish water. So a lot of the bolts were starting to corrode. Seadoo switched the bolts on that year ski to non stainless fasteners. I know cause, I bought a 2003 ski as parts and all the bolts for the engine on it were stainless. I simply swapped bolt for bolt. Got lucky buying a parts ski. You are right they will break and not come out. I ended up using a bolt extractor tool to get most of them. Lots of PB blaster used. In the end I was able to get mine back up to snuff. Mine was no wear near as corroded as yours though.

Good luck.

I own this very ski. Mine was used in brackish water. So a lot of the bolts were starting to corrode. Seadoo switched the bolts on that year ski to non stainless fasteners. I know cause, I bought a 2003 ski as parts and all the bolts for the engine on it were stainless. I simply swapped bolt for bolt. Got lucky buying a parts ski. You are right they will break and not come out. I ended up using a bolt extractor tool to get most of them. Lots of PB blaster used. In the end I was able to get mine back up to snuff. Mine was no wear near as corroded as yours though.

Good luck.
I don't understand why they would switch to non stainless like that. Pretty retarded considering SEA, which is typically composed of salt and water, is the first part of the brand name.... they should name them Lake-Doo

Lol

Cost cutting at its finest.

I honestly wouldn’t spend a dime until you have the title. Not because I don’t think you can’t have a running ski but because it isn’t legally yours and could be stolen.

I don't understand why they would switch to non stainless like that. Pretty retarded considering SEA, which is typically composed of salt and water, is the first part of the brand name.... they should name them Lake-Doo

Lol
The bolts on the engines of the 2002 up to a 2004 all have stainless External Torx head fasteners aka 12 point heads. The 2006 was internal torx/bolt head design not stainless. Just a tib bit I found working on them. Maybe someone else can tell us if the 2005 year has the non stainless ones. Not sure what year they exactly switched it or which models changed or didn't. Just if you go looking on ebay look for the stainless ones to replace what you have. They are different head types. Ones in the pic are the stainless style I am referring to.

Attachments

• seadoobolts.jpg
    seadoobolts.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 14
Regarding the Title. I recently used www.getnewtitle.com for an old 97 GSI that was bought for $100. I put another $150 into it and decided to keep it. The Title company had my paperwork back in 3 weeks, free and clear in my name.....highly recommend them if you get stuck needing a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back