2006 GTI SE Random Bogging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

beav626

Yesterday was Day 1 of lake season for me so I took the skis out.

the RXPX Ran like a top and I had a blast.

The Wifey's 2006 GTI SE was having random bogging issues

Let me preface by saying that I had the two skis winterized by the dealer last year and stored them with full tanks of 100% gas w/ Sta bil.

So Both skis have gas from the same place and time.

The GTI idled great at home and revved fine with the water hose hooked up. When we got to the lake we took off and it didn't want to accelerate. it did that for a little bit then it accelerate fine but was bogging at top end.

we played with it for a while and it was random, I couldn't put my finger on it.

Today I pulled the plugs and they looked fine, but i sprayed some fogging oil into the Cylinders and turned her over a few times. The I buttoned her up and took her away for the week.

What could I be missing here?

Thanks

What ski-doo said. They can look fine and still be giving you trouble. :cheers:

Thanks Guys- I will swap out plugs and try her again this weekend. Would you empty the tank too and replace with new fuel? Last fill up was in November.

I bought new plugs, Same NGK's that came out of the boat but they were too tall. the coil stuck up a bit.

I also put some heet in the fuel and then I ran her

Ran her on the water for 5-10 minutes and no problems.

I will replace the tall plugs with another set that will fit better, I hope.

you need to use the correct NGK plug, same size, same number, identical in every way, very important!! the plug should have a threaded post top, did you unscrew the top metal part and discard? if yes, sometimes you have to tap the top of the coil with your hand to get the coil all the way down.

Then top wouldn't unscrew, it was the same number as the ones I pulled out of the ski. I will go back to the parts store today and get new ones that are an exact match.

Got the right plugs in her and she ran great- better than I remember from last year. I hit 55mph pretty quick. I feel she would have hit 60 with smoother water.

last year I don't remember much more than 50mph

change the plugs, you can't "see" a fouled plug.

Why can't you see a "fouled" plug? A fouled plug is a plug with oil buildup or foreign debris stuck on/around the electrode preventing it from sparking... a failed plug on the other hand is a whole different beastie. It seems that these 4TEC engines are very rough on spark plugs, I'd very much like to understand why the 4TEC engines destroy spark plugs so fast and what it is that fails inside the plugs that make them fail.

I had an issue last August with spark plugs (I think at any rate... I haven't taken my 1st ride this season yet and after I changed the spark plugs there was nowhere to take it to ride as water levels had dropped too far to launch). I was able to confirm visually that all 3 plugs were still sparking and they looked like brand new (had me fooled!), but it ran like crap with them missing and barely running. I put brand new plugs in, and it idles on trailer much smoother it seems so my assumption is that something went bad on the previous set of plugs but I cannot figure what or why!?!? I won't be positive the plugs were the problem until I take it out on the water and finally get to ride it again... hoping to do that sometime next week before the holiday weekend.

Any thoughts on why these plugs fail so rapidly?

- Michael

"failed", "fouled", used interchangeably by most, same result, it don't work. must be from former 2 stroke people.

I agree these plugs fail too often especially when compared to any newer car which almost never has a plug failure, even after 200k miles and how many thousands of running hours.

normal failure mode is the 4tec plugs will look perfect, but spark intermittently.

My 2000 GMC pickup truck with 454BB Vortec engine went almost 180,000 miles on it's original set of spark plugs and was still running fine when I finally pulled them out last Fall and saw that the electrodes were worn. I put a new set of plugs in (didn't make any difference at all, not even a fuel mileage improvement). My jetboat's 454BB engine (bored out to 468ci w/twin tunnel ram and twin Holly carbs) hasn't had it's plugs changed in 5 or 6 years now I can't even remember exactly. It just seems really strange that you have to change these 4TEC engine spark plugs basically every year even when you're not putting that many hours on them.

Maybe someday somebody will figure out the reason why at least. Do supercharged automotive engines commonly need their spark plugs changed frequently also?

- Michael

Well that screws my theory that the boost pressure from the SC has anything to do with it then. Thanks for the info, Beav.

- Michael

My theory about the mysterious fouled plugs is that it must have something to do with the fact that the engine has a wet exhaust system. People tell me all the time that "the ski ran fine when I put it away 3-4 months ago but now when I start it it runs like hell."
I replace the plugs and everyone is happy again.

So you gotta ask yourself "What could have possibly happened to these spark plugs while the engine sat idle for a few months?"
The only thing I can think of is that water left in the exhaust evaporated and that moisture ended up on the plug tip. Most of my customers do not fog their engines. Maybe that would help (or make it worse!!) :rofl:

My set went bad during the summer though, after 4 or 5 really fun weekend outtings just all-of-a-sudden while running near full throttle last August it near about died on me (I actually thought it had died or locked up at 1st) then missed all the way back to the boat launch. Go figure.

- Michael

Well, there goes my theory all to hell. In my defense, I never said it was a good one ! :rofl:

There may be more than 1 way for them to fail though! Your theory sounds plausible to me, but it doesn't explain what happened to the plugs in my RXT that day after riding for almost an hour they just went to cwap suddenly. I guess that's why these machines come with a spare spark plugs holder and basic tool set, so you can change them out on the water if the existing plugs suddenly die on you far away from any dock. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it back to the boatramp where I'd launched from that day or not, and it was within sight when the plugs apparently died on me :-(

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back