2006 Challenger 180 Intercooler, F1000?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

C9R0J0

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about putting an external intercooler on my 06 Challenger 180. Originally I was thinking about doing the X-charger as well, but from what I've read the fuel consumption increases drastically. My boat has the original oem internal intercooler in it. Is it safe to assume after 12 years, 250+ hours, that the oem cooler is starting to loose it's effectiveness? Last year I noticed a greater performance loss during the hottest part of the summer compared to the previous year. Regardless, an external cooler should give me an rpm increase over the internal. I'm thinking about the Fizzle F1000. Has anyone done this mod on a 180? Any thoughts?

So the stock crankcase vent setup sends oil back through the intake, before the intercooler. Over time this can really coat some crap onto the intercooler. If you're noticing increased heat soak, can certainly be from this. The fizzle upgrade is a good one.

For the x charger, you'll only reduce your MPG when using the extra power. So at say 6k rpm cruising, consumption should be nearly stock. Up near 8k full throttle itll make a bigger difference, as well as when accelerating hard

For the x charger, you'll only reduce your MPG when using the extra power. So at say 6k rpm cruising, consumption should be nearly stock. Up near 8k full throttle itll make a bigger difference, as well as when accelerating hard

That's what I had always assumed would be the case, but reports on this forum and elsewhere have scared me off the upgrade. Test results I've seen with fuel flow numbers etc have shown cruise mpg to be very similar between the 215 and 255. I thought maybe the ecu programming had something to do with it. Perhaps I will reconsider the upgrade.

So the stock crankcase vent setup sends oil back through the intake, before the intercooler. Over time this can really coat some crap onto the intercooler. If you're noticing increased heat soak, can certainly be from this. The fizzle upgrade is a good one.

@JoeZ is there a map tune for our boats too. I have the xchargers and impellers but I'd love a tune. Is there hope???

That's what I had always assumed would be the case, but reports on this forum and elsewhere have scared me off the upgrade. Test results I've seen with fuel flow numbers etc have shown cruise mpg to be very similar between the 215 and 255. I thought maybe the ecu programming had something to do with it. Perhaps I will reconsider the upgrade.
Now that we know they have the tune I wouldn't shy away from the upgrade C9R0J0. When I'm in eco mode my twins are sipping fuel. But once you creep past 6000 you'll be letting the beast out. For me 6000 rpms is about 40 which is fast enough to get from a to b of you're concerned about fuel consumption.

Yeah you gotta figure it gives you more power, and when you use that power you'll burn more fuel. If you aren't using the the power, you won't burn any extra.

Seeing as my supercharger still has some life left before a rebuild is required, I'll start with an external intercooler. I'm definitely interested in the X-charger again though!

Let me know if you decide to get it. I can hook up the shipping price even though you're in Canada.

Thanks, but I can see MN out my window, literally! So no need to ship to Canada, I have a US mailing address :)
Even better. We offer a 10% discount for forum members. Use code facebook10 it works on most items but not all.

Excellent! I'll be placing an order. I'm just trying to figure out the plumbing for a boat install.

I'm still thinking about the plumbing for the F1000 kit for my 215. Are the stock 255 intercooler inlet and outlet the same diameter as the Fizzle? I was thinking I could just use the stock 255 mounting location and the stock piping. Although $75 a piece for the pipes seems a bit much. Regardless, I think I'll buy the complete kit either way as I will need the mount and the block off for the manifold. I don't know if I'll be able to use the kit piping or not. It's hard to know what I need to make this work without the intercooler here first.

No, to utilize a stock set up you have to go with Fizzle's GEN-X intercooler. I would do the complete F1000 kit.

Very interested in the results. Any idea on how much more power this kit will result in. If given the option of doing 255 supercharge and injectors or just intercooler what would you choose?

I would think the intercooler would be easier on the engine because its keeping the boost down

Is there a way to vent out into the atmosphere?

Very interested in the results. Any idea on how much more power this kit will result in. If given the option of doing 255 supercharge and injectors or just intercooler what would you choose?

You will definitely see more gain from the x-charger and injectors. I choose to just do the intercooler for now as I was worried about fuel consumption. I may do the full mod in the future when my supercharger is due for a rebuild. Most on my boating is just cruising around, so as posted earlier in this thread the fuel consumption at cruise should be close to stock.

I will post the before and after results. Maybe even with video. It'll likely be a couple weeks as I'll need to order more piping etc once I get the intercooler. The pwc kit won't bolt right on to the boat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back