Challenger 230 with 2x 215s adding External Intercooler?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosl2

Anyone on the forum with a sport boat (not a pwc) successfully able to add an external intercooler in place of their internal one? The 520hp (2 x 260s) comes with an external cooler but the mounting bracket is NLA from sea doo. I am not even sure where it would mount without physically seeing the 260 setup and the 215 side by side. At this point i am not looking to take the engine to 260hp i just would like to remove the internal intercoolers this fall and go external with the anticipation i have one leaking.

Something like this is similar to what 2012 wake 520 has. I am really only questioning the mounting plate, the rest looks fairly simple
Fizzle XS First Generation Intercooler Kit [FF-SD-IC-0001] : PWC Performance Parts

I have a 2012 230 520hp. I will be at my lake house in couple of days and can take some pics for you. they mount towards the back (transom) part of the boat. They mount side by side on an aluminum plate and strapped in with the rubber straps, like the exhaust system uses.
1627951148561.png

Thanks I appreciate it. I did pull the same parts picture. If you can snag some photos of where that plate and rear support (only used on our larger 200 & 230 model) mounts on your boat that would be helpful!

The 215 inercooler has proven to be way more reliable than the external ic. Not sure why you would change? There are many differences between the 215 and 260 engines such as the x version sc, fuel injectors, ECU, etc. As long as you winterize and flush properly, the 215ic should last pretty much forever.

The 215 inercooler has proven to be way more reliable than the external ic. Not sure why you would change? There are many differences between the 215 and 260 engines such as the x version sc, fuel injectors, ECU, etc. As long as you winterize and flush properly, the 215ic should last pretty much forever.
I thought I had a leak in an IC which I don’t think I do. It was to upgrade the power but I went back on that too! Everything will be staying the same. Lol. I found that adding an external IC to my setup will increase my RPm due to the colder charge air then it will run lean. Can’t do the IC without 42lb injectors…etc and the list goes on. I am out, lol. Not worth the investment for 60hp to me.

Can someone help me understand why you need the 42lb injectors to add an external IC?

The IC doesn't add any pressure, it just reduces the intake Temps. Less temp, more dense air = more HP.

I get if you added boost but you are not adding anything?

When I replaced my IC with the slightly larger one, I gained 200 Rpm.

Based on the thread, looks like trying to get from the 215hp to 260hp. The airflow would be better/cooler with the external IC, but you need the 42lb injectors if you changing the SC to boost the HP.

Can someone help me understand why you need the 42lb injectors to add an external IC?

The IC doesn't add any pressure, it just reduces the intake Temps. Less temp, more dense air = more HP.

I get if you added boost but you are not adding anything?

When I replaced my IC with the slightly larger one, I gained 200 Rpm.
PWC muscle informed me even without adding boost you need 42lb becuase it will run lean up top due to the colder air charge and increase RPM. Denser air requires more fuel. It seemed strange to me but this what I was told and they know their sht over there. Might be worth a call to Greg at pwcmuscle and ask as well. Last thing you want to do is run lean because you put an IC on. I ran many scenarios by him. Just IC, just xcharger, xcharger IC injectors, RRFPR. I wrote it all down and decided to not change a thing, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back