Sea-Doo Challenger 210 SE Supercharger Upgrade

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright members, I purchased a used 2011 Challenger 210SE with just 71 hours on it from the Gulf Shores area. I am learning as I go, and my first lesson I should have learned was to walk away from this SALT WATER BOAT. My mechanic suggested it but I assured him it ran just fine. Once I got it home and delivered to him I told him since it was close to rebuild time on the Supercharges, lets upgrade them to the 260 SC's. So, 2 New 260 SC's and Fizzle Intercoolers, custom brackets and piping, Side by side mounted Oil catch cans, he installed the SC water jackets as well.

During the pump maintenance/impeller replacement, both brackets surrounding the pumps had the stainless bolts seized within the aluminum housing. No amount of persuasion...ie., penetrating oil, heat or force would budge them. They had to be cut off and replaced...ouch $200 a pop! Moving on, the pumps showed little to no grease in them which basically confirms that this boat was never dealer serviced as the owner had admitted ( the service engine light was on).

Also, the engine compartment was relatively clean for a 7 year old boat, but did show signs of the white residue that a salt water boat exhibits. I'll be treating this with " Salt Away" as suggested to halt any further decay. My mechanic showed me the internal intercoolers which he said were in great condition. He had my boat for a month, working on it, fabricating brackets, ordering and installing piping...and his total hourly bill probably did not reflect the amount of time he had invested in my boat.
I told him to keep my old SUPERCHARGERS and Intercoolers and impellers to keep around to help out other boat/PWC owners. If he has a rebuilt 210SC on the shelf, he can get an operator back on the water a lot quicker.

What I have learned since purchase is 1: BOAT really does mean...break out another thou$and. 2. Buying the boat is only scratching the surface of being boat broke. All the things necessary to own and operate a boat safely adds up fast....really fast. Thank goodness for eBay and Amazon...and a local boat and trailer supplier!

My biggest advice to a future buyer is don't let a pretty any boat that is/was a Salt water boat distract you from the issue of how damaging salt is to operational capabilities of the boat itself. My boat is gonna be fine after all the $$$ I've thrown at it. I'm looking forward to see how fast it is now with the SC upgrade. On it's shakedown cruise, I had it up to 51 out in the ocean...GPS. I am hoping for close to 60 but who knows....has anybody else done this upgrade?

I appreciate your input. I already know I am upside down in this build, but so am I with my Ford 48 F-1, My Mustang GT and my 2019 F150 4x4, but I like my toys and I like'm my way.

Thoughts???

Your running slow should be 54 with the stock supercharges.
That was prior to purchasing it. I didnt feel the need to go WOT as it was running good and syncing at all rpm's. I'm sure it WAS capable of a lot more....now I'm waiting to see how much of a beast it is.

Wonder if you'd benefit from different impellers? I guess you'll find out when you finally get her maxed out. RPMs at max speed will tell you if you need to "re-prop" or not due to the extra power.

Wonder if you'd benefit from different impellers? I guess you'll find out when you finally get her maxed out. RPMs at max speed will tell you if you need to "re-prop" or not due to the extra power.
We contacted Solas, and they recommended 15/20... and the OEM were a little rough, so we are giving the a shot. There's a left and right...one having a bit more aggressive pitch to counteract any tendency to pull "left". They said if there's any noticeable cavitation...they would send a different set to try out!

I will know the week of the 12th. Gonna use GPS speedo on trial runs.

Your 210 Challenger uses a GPS for its own speedometer. No need for a separate one. The internal GPS is used for speed, cruise control, eco mode calculations, etc...

If you look at the starboard RPM gauge at about 2000 RPM, there is a gps lock indicator.

c6998e4c5d672b02d2e9361161f797db.jpg

Also it should be pointed out in many cases the analog speedometer is rather inaccurate. The digital speedometer you can select on the digital gauge cluster is accurate.

Also it should be pointed out in many cases the analog speedometer is rather inaccurate. The digital speedometer you can select on the digital gauge cluster is accurate.
Okay, the shakedown cruise was a success. Nothing notable went wrong, and I was topping out at about 61mph. Nice little pickup for the investment. You have to ease it into full throttle as it dosen;t like being floored right off the bat...but boy does she goooooooooo!

That's a nice improvement!

How's the fuel consumption?
Took it out for the shakedown cruise last weekend. Out of the blocks it performed very well. You have to ease into full throttle as it just wants to cavitate. We rode around trying different speeds, maneuvers and everything functined like a charm. As for fuel economy I am not sure. I started with a FULL tank of 93 Octanne and after about 3 hours, maybe 3.5...It was just above half full. That was hard driving at times....mostly cruised at about 32mph. There was considerable chop and 7-10 mph winds,,,but managed to squeeze right at 61 mph out of it with 2 coolers and 4 adults. I think that's pretty good. I think once the newness of going fast wears off then cruising MPG will go up considerably.

On a side note I knew my bunkboard brackets were bad and I had 2 new bunks with all new brackets and hardware ready to go, but decided to forego the "parking lot/boat dock" change up for another day. Well, when we pulled the trailer around to load up one of the brackets broke. So...we were forced to park the boat at the Marina, run back home and change them...on a day that was 96F. Seems like boating is always an adventure! LOL

I hear you, 30-35 is a nice cruising speed and that's what I cruise at as well, but I'm still dissatisfied with the top speed of my 180 for some reason haha. I've got a Fizzle F1000 and a 4" intake, all I need is the X-Charger. I'd be happy if I could hit 50 consistently with 3 people in the boat. Currently with mid summer water temps I can do 46-47 alone, but it drops down to 43-44 loaded. I'm only spinning 7700 rpm tho, so there's likely some gains to be made with the right pitch.

Ideally I'd like to sell this and get a 210 with twin 215's.

FYI: on the 210 you can monitor the fuel burn (average or “instant”). My NA 210 burns 9 gph at ~30 mph. 11 at ~35. 18 at full throttle (7200 rpm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back