2005 RXT mysteriously slow

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

martinr1000d

Hello guys im here looking for direction. I purchased this RXT a few months ago and started learning its pitfalls quickly. I was an uneducated consumer and got the ski with a bad wear ring and impeller. So i replaced the wear ring and impeller then started adding some goodies. You can see these in my signature. With the wear ring and impeller i added an R&D anti cavitation cone and spacer and intake grate. Ski ran good about 64mph. Next came the pump trim wedge air intake and breather bottle. Ski ran about the same speed but i was not concerned. Well shortly thereafter since the bottom of the ski was a little rough (from a few beachings, rough ones at that) i had the gelcoat repaired. On the previous weekend I ran some WOT passes with varying fuel levels and loads up and down stream on calm water and was lucky to break 60mph! 61.5 mph to be exact. Bear in mind that with a bad wear ring, impeller and a hull that was rough as a cobb it ran 64mph. Also note that the ski seemed to "walk" from side to side in a manner that was somewhat unnerving. I dont think that I passed any debris throught the pump but cannot testify that the wear ring is still good, but i do know that on my performance lacking passes my rpm's were 8000-8050 MAX i do not recall ever seeing 8100 on the dig display. Thanks in advance for your help.

Go ahead and throw some ideas out there. I will be happy to look into your ideas. All I can figure is that the gellcoat/hull repairs were done poorly and are causing drag. Do you think that the repairs also could have caused the "walking" from L to R? One of the tips of the outside chines was ground flat right at the point, the repair looked really good on it but maybe not to 60mph water. Also the keel area looked slightly wavy not severely but could it be enough to account for a 3+ mph loss. If so is my 100rpm loss commensurate with a 3mph loss?

Ok although no one has thrown out any ideas the answer to the problem is that the OPAS hose that connects to the pump providing pressure to raise the steering fins was not connected to its hose barb fitting located on top of the pump. I found it while re "nut and bolting" my ski. I feel like a real dummy but maybe someone else will get the message to check eveything at least twice after performing maitanance or upgrades.

What are you using to check your speed? If you are only using the speedo I say thats to problem. They are not accurate at all, if it feels the same then everything should be good. The hull repair would not cause enough drap for a noticable difference in speed. Also, you should only be getting around 7800 RPMs at WOT....maybe your mods increase the RPMs a little bit though...not really sure.

Hope that helps!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back