2004 Seadoo Speedster 200 Progress Post

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

j_cruton

Hi all!

Kinda new here and I wanted to start a post with the progress of my Speedster, the problems I run into, and the ever working project so maybe someone else comes across and can solve some of their problems in one consolidated spot.

So I bought my Speedster last August, my first boat! Was super excited about it but it definitely needed/s some work. The boat is running fantastic but, needs some much needed TLC. After years of neglect, the age is beginning to show. I estimate the engines have between 200-300hrs on them, haven't required any major work and have been maintained well throughout the years. When I took the boat for a test drive I fell in love immediately when I could make the sharpest turns at 30+ mph and knew it was the boat for me. The only issue I found in the beginning was engine two had a slightly lower coolant level, filled and went for a test ride and it took about 16oz more of coolant, refilled and haven't had issues since. I think the problem was a result of just sitting idle for a while and compression when the engines were fired up made some disappear. We shall see with time if it requires more assistance.

Bought the boat, towed it home and started going to work on detailing. And of course like you always do find some additional things that you know you need to replace, so with the season coming to an ending relatively soon I decided the rest of last summer would be the time to find all of the main issues, fix big ones if possible but then get into the nitty gritty this summer. I also put a wake tower and Bimini top on. So in my findings I accrued a decent list of issues. The major problems seem to be with the reverse system and potentially the steering cable. I have a feeling both have stretched over time. The first issue with the reverse cable seems to not allow the buckets to lock in the forward position which caused them to drag slightly so reduction of speed combined with whenever I would turn left with any speed I ran the risk of the port side bucket sheering the two tiny bolts which connects to the starboard bucket (great fail safe IMO) which happened occasionally until I found the issue was the locking mechanism was missing pieces then had to manually be set in the lock position when going forward. By that time winter had arrived and it was time to winterize and due to the early winter in the PNW didn't work on it until the weather has finally broke, and now it is time to go to work.

The list of things to do continue to grow this summer and I'll be posting progress/asking for assistance whenever possible.

Attachments

• IMG_9382.JPG
    IMG_9382.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9415.JPG
    IMG_9415.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9418.PNG
    IMG_9418.PNG
    771.4 KB · Views: 71
Yeah man .. I have 2006 speedster 200 and tm just had my drive cable break .. it rusted out .. bit of a pain but these boats bloody fun !
0a985b656d8296339a96d3e7593d06d6.jpg

What kind of wake tower did you installed?

Monster tower MTK

It look nice! How hard was it to install?

It wasn’t that hard honestly, only took two days do but can definitely be done in one. Hardest part was finding the best position for the feet because of the weird angle the base had to be put at. I’m happy with it, I do kinda wished I just found a way to weld it to the rails already on the boat.

Got some good work in over the weekend. Changed the oil, in both engines, completely de winterized. Started to take the outside decals off to get remade/buff the outside. Installed the new head unit. Replaced all the straps on my trailer and got it out for a few hours, handling nicely got up to about 46mph on choppy water. Did run into a small problem, could not find the correct spark plugs. Will post pictures later but there has to be 100 identical NGK codes with the tiniest deviation. The ones I need have a thread at the top that screws into the ignition coil, and has to be a 5/8 socket. Super frustrating. Anyone have similar issue? I can’t tell if the ignition coils I have are stock or after market.

Hey j_cruton -- Good Luck with your boat -- I also bought a 2004 Speedster 200 last August (my first jet boat as well). Just now arranging to get the boat out of storage after a long Midwest US winter!

Regarding your spark plug question -- make sure to look for Sea-Doo OEM Part #707000246 -- according to the Owner's Guide, that is the part number for both the 1st and 2nd Edition 2004 Speedsters. Owner's Guide describes it as a "NGK DCPR8E (resistor type)". Gap should be 0.75mm (.029 in).

Hope that helps narrow down your search!

I just bought a boat exactly like this ,and must say, yours looks a lot better than mine. I need to buff/polish the entire hull, and maybe get newer decals. Mine are not as sharp as yours. Also, the plastic lens on my gauges are all hazy. Any way to fix this?

I just bought a boat exactly like this ,and must say, yours looks a lot better than mine. I need to buff/polish the entire hull, and maybe get newer decals. Mine are not as sharp as yours. Also, the plastic lens on my gauges are all hazy. Any way to fix this?

Mine were the same way. Picked up a little polishing kit from Walmart that worked great.

Mine were the same way. Picked up a little polishing kit from Walmart that worked great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-W...75035&wl11=online&wl12=16927980&wl13=&veh=sem
The one I got

nice! I'll give that a shot, thanks. You ride it much yet? How long does a tank usually last you?

So started taking apart the starboard side reverse assembly getting everything ready to put in the new reverse cable. Has anyone done this procedure before that could walk me through it so I don’t make a mistake or anything? Really hoping this solves the issue.

Have you already ordered a new cable? You might not need to. It sounds like an adjustment issue, the cable doesn't necessarily have to be bad. The attachment points on each end have a threaded end which can be adjusted. Pull the helm control and see if you can make the buckets go forward when the stick is all the way fwd.

Have you already ordered a new cable? You might not need to. It sounds like an adjustment issue, the cable doesn't necessarily have to be bad. The attachment points on each end have a threaded end which can be adjusted. Pull the helm control and see if you can make the buckets go forward when the stick is all the way fwd.

Yeah I already got the cable. I attempted to do that last year and I was out of room to pull it forward any further.

If you disconnect your cable, do the buckets raise up to the proper height?

Is your old cable hard to shift? Mine is, especially compared to my single engine Challenger. I am hoping it's just due to the fact that there are two buckets to flip, but I fear I'll have to do undergo the same thing you're about to and swap it out for a new one. Curious to hear how the new cable goes.

If you disconnect your cable, do the buckets raise up to the proper height?

Is your old cable hard to shift? Mine is, especially compared to my single engine Challenger. I am hoping it's just due to the fact that there are two buckets to flip, but I fear I'll have to do undergo the same thing you're about to and swap it out for a new one. Curious to hear how the new cable goes.

Yes extremely hard to lift and get into the locked position. I’ll let you know as soon as I get it replaced and tested

The buckets are hard to lift with the cable, or with it disconnected? Maybe your bucket hinges are corroded?

Got the new cable in tonight, and it didn’t do anything. So that’s great. I guess I will start replacing all the screws and bits where the cable connects to the reverse gate. Any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back